five: she

prompt: Genderfluid Awsten

I leaned against the counter, sipping on my coffee generously. It was in the early morning hours, maybe around 10 or so. Aws had woken me up around two hours ago, so this, my third cup of coffee today, was very much needed.

Aws was upstairs playing. I hadn't had an opportunity to see their bracelet for today, so I'd probably head up shortly to check what their pronouns for the day were. "Gee, Gee!" I heard Aws' feet pounding on the stairs as they bounded down. Well....that's one way to find out.

I put my coffee down on the table, opening my arms and crouching down. Awssie squealed, running to me and jumping up into my arms. I stole a glance at their wrists, and the pink bracelet on Aws' small skin.

"You're my lil baby girl today, huh?" I muttered, kissing Aws' cheek.

"Mhm," Awssie giggled, a blush creeping up her cheeks. I put my angel girl on the ground, handing her a piece of lemon pound cake before she ran toward the lounge. Awssie was full of life and energy today. It was reassuring, to see her this happy. I watched her bum land on our leather couch, as she flipped on Tarzan. It was her favorite; we watched it multiple times a week. I walked up and sat on the couch, Aws cuddling into my thighs as I sipped some more on my coffee. I ran my fingers through her hair, careful to avoid her precious blue flower crown.

Aws was slowly drifting asleep against my legs, but before she could I shifted so her head was in my lap and more comfortable. I continued to play with the strands of her hair and watched her eyes slowly flutter shut. She slept comfortably on my lap, and I smiled down.

I couldn't believe how lucky I was.

Aws, in all their best forms, was the absolute best thing to happen to me. 

*short so i'll post another one today*