nine: written in blood

prompt: "This is going to hurt, I'm so sorry."

November 2142. Nobody thought this day would ever come. After World War 3 came to an end in 2094 it became apparent how much damage was truly done. Most of the population died,; if not from the nuclear weapons and chemical bombs then from starvation. The rest of us discovered a horrible side effect to the mass amount of chemicals dropped on every continent.

The world became infested with people like me. Blood-sucking, sharp-toothed, terrifying vampires. Our entire lives were flipped. We worked and went to school at night and slept through the daylight hours. Our windows were tinted, no light coming in, no light going out. Everything was black in this world now. It was slightly depressing, but I wasn't risking my life for a bit of purple. Everybody in this world was turned; we didn't have a choice.

Well....everybody turned except for Awsten.

The poor boy was like a trophy. Everybody wanted the chance to sink their teeth into something with a beating heart. I would know....the difference between cold veins and veins with blood rushing through them was distinct. Luckily, Awsten was mine. I had him because I loved him, not because I wanted to sink my teeth into his neck, but because I loved him and I wanted to protect him.

"Geoff!" Awsten yelled and the door clicked shut, signaling he was home from school. The clock read 11:45, he must have gotten out early. Normally I wouldn't see the kid until around 2 or 3 on Tuesdays. "Geoff! I need to talk to you!" My stomach dropped to my feet. If it were still beating, my heart would do the same.

Aws ran into the kitchen, frantic and sliding across the floor. "Awssie, Awssie slow down." I giggled as I cupped the boy's cheeks. My skin was cold, and his was warm. It was a feeling I loved. I had forgotten what skin felt like when blood flowed through it. It felt warm, full of life, and soft. Mine was always cold, hard, and made Awsten shake when it touched him. Aws' skin was also a mix of pale and tan....mine was so white it had a bluish hue. I've lost track of how long I've been this way. For as long as I can remember. I age differently from Awsten, so even he is no inkling as to how old I truly am.

"Geoff I need you to bite me. Now." My eyes went wide. Was he crazy? He was the last beating heart in the whole world....and he wanted me to ruin that?

"Awsten, no. I can't. You're...." He cut me off, swiftly grabbing my hips.

"Geoff! People try to bite me every single day, multiple times a day! I need you to bite me. If anybody's gonna do it I want it to be you." Awsten spoke fast, but I understood every word. He made sense. Every time we were out together, people would go crazy over him. This world has thrived on animal blood and corpses for as long as anybody can remember. But Awsten? He was fresh meat. Blood, untouched, unmarked blood was rushing through his veins. Blood I couldn't help but crave.

I grabbed Awsten by the hips and pinned him to the wall. "Are you sure this is what you want? Once I bite you, you're turned forever." I nuzzled my head into his neck, simply resting there.

"Y-Yes, Geoff. Don't wanna be t-threatened anymore. Wanna live....forever.....with you."

I pulled out my fangs, taking a deep breath as I tightened my hold on Awsten. "This is going to hurt." I sighed. "It always does....but it's only one bite, then it's done. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay." Aws shrugged. My fangs nearly touched his skin as he did so. "This is what I want." The small boy's hands landed on my waist.

While he was distracted by the feel of my icy skin, that's when I bit. I dug my teeth into his neck and bit....bit as hard as I could. It had been an eternity since I'd last pierced skin, skin with blood running through it. Aws let out a small scream. I sucked, and felt him go rigid as he began to turn beneath me.

Simply moments later, I pulled back from Awsten. A slight blue hue covered his features. He was turning. It didn't hurt. He was peaceful. When it was all done, I licked the blood from my teeth and reached out to grab the boy.

"You're one of us now." I smiled at him. "Now....let's teach you how to use those teeth."