Chapter 1

Falling out of Order

Chapter 1

Mako strolled down the late London streets with his hands shoved into his pockets. His hood was drawn over his head and he kept his head slightly bowed. If anyone saw him, they would not even think that he used to serve in the American army. He had been good too, rising in the ranks like his older brother. That was before his brother kicked him out of the force. Mako was still bitter about it, Luka had turned his whole life upside down, yet he was in London because of his brother. After the years, he felt like he wanted to see him again. He would never admit it to Luka's face, but Mako missed him.

Mako wasn't sure where Luka stayed yet, but he had information that he was working with a gang. Not like the Russian mafia, but Mako was sure the gang wasn't too much different. To be honest, Mako wasn't really sure where he was headed right at that moment, he was just walking. Thinking about things. His past. Wondering if he would see Luka again soon.

Unbeknownst to him, Luka was on his way back late in the night from working for one of the gangs, to where he had been staying in a rundown, sketchy apartment. It was all he could afford with the little money he got every now and then. Luka knew he was taking a risk when choosing to take the shorter way back, going through some territory he was warned about by fellow gang members. He didn't care that much about it right now after such a rough night. He just wanted the quickest way back to his shitty apartment as he made note to himself that he would be careful.

There was a gash on his left side of his temple from when he didn't meet the needs that his 'boss' wanted, being unable to bring him all the drugs he was asked to steal for them. His lower lip was also split and bruised, that being what he got for not for filling all of what they asked of him that night. He was having enough of this kind of life, feeling like ending it all since he felt that he had nothing else to really live for anymore. All what kept him fighting during his time as a prisoner of war, was that he needed to make it out alive to see his brother again. He told himself every second of those awful moments that his brother was waiting for him and that he only needed to make it back. But when he made it back, he had only lied to himself. His brother wasn't waiting for him when he returned. He even wondered if his brother saw anything about what happened on the news or if his brother was even alive.

His feelings were pint up inside, unable to express them as he kept a cold expression on his face. He didn't know how to process it all as he just kept himself going through the motions of surviving. He just needed to keep in mind of what his mother would want him to do. She would want him to be strong and to keep pushing through no matter what bad cards he was dealt. But he had failed his brother. He had failed his parents' wishes when he promised to look out for him. It was his brother and his responsibility.

His thoughts ran through his mind as he walked, keeping at least his one good eye on his surroundings, always looking over his shoulder while reminding himself that he had his pistol in the inside of his army field jacket pocket, to reassure himself that he was safer with it. He was always on edge, but he controlled himself well, it being surprising enough with how level headed he could be with all the experiences he'd been through. It was just something he was good at, but he had his moments when he would unravel when it all becomes too much.

As he continued on his way, he thought more about his brother as he glanced down to the worn-down bracelet on his left wrist, recalling the time when his little brother, his Misha, made it for him. It had been a sign of a new beginning when they made it to America when they were younger. He wondered though if his brother, if alive, still had the bracelet he made for him as well. These feelings made his chest tighten before he dismissed himself from thinking about it too much while continuing on his way through the dimly lit darkness.