f o u r

Dumbledore announced that the feast was over just as Regulus sat back down at the Slytherin table. As students started to begin rising, Dumbledore prepared to give a second message but soon again closed him mouth when he noticed the Marauders and Lily Evans. She hadn't originally planned on stopping but thought as head girl she should probably make a point on being on top of being on top of any situations that arose, especially since it was her first week on the job. Harry, who had started to fall asleep in his fathers lap had been startled awake from the hustle and bustle of everyone filing out of the Great Hall.

Harry spotted Moony flicking his wand before Lily and Sirius' hair returning to their original styles. With their newly reinstated hair, the pair seemed to have calmed down from their scene earlier.

After the final student and teacher had left the hall, Dumbledore glided down the aisle to were the group were sat and took a seat next to Remus. He gave Harry a small smile who seemed to be beaming at him.

"I don't know if you all know this but I was always fond of babies, so innocent, so impressionable. Of course, they're also a lot of hard work as I once found out when my mother had my younger sister," the headmaster paused seeming deep in contemplation of how to continue. "Of course, that was my sister, the real caring for her was not up to me."

The group sat there, confusion spreading like yawns across each of their faces.

"Headmaster, if you don't mind me asking," Remus rushed in before he could start speaking again. "Where is this going just Lily and I have our prefect rounds to do before bed and it's late so Harry must be getting back to his paren-" At the thought of being sent away Harry started crying profusely much to the surprise of everyone.

"It's okay, Harry," James soothed, rubbing Harry's back to try and some what calm him down before they had a melt down on their hands. "I'm sure your mum and dad are worried sick about you." He gave a small smile to Harry.

"Da-a," Harry tried, but struggled to even attempt to articulate the words.
At a loss, Harry swiftly turned to Lily and put his arms up indicating he wanted to swap laps, and exclaimed with a lot of force and might, "Mu-ma!"

Lily paused from going to pick him up and shared a quick glance with James. "Professor, Harry seems to be... how do I put this, attached? Yes, attached to James and myself as well as Remus and Sirius here of course but-"

Dumbledore held his hand out pausing Lily from going any further with whatever justification she was trying to give. He pondered for a moment, seeming to be in some far away land in his head. "It appears Young Harry here has many secrets, I myself am an occlumens so, I could enter his mind and find out who or where he has come from, but something tells me that everything will be explained with time. Not to mention it can be extremely damaging on a boy Harry's age. Now, how did Harry get to you?" he looked between the 5 of them expectantly.

Remus, James and Sirius then went on to explain what they new injected snippets of information when they each missed something out from their accounts of the situation. Once they had finished recalling the tale, Dumbledore simply said "Ahh." He turned and faces Harry directly on, "Well, there are a couple of ways Mr Harry arrived here, none of them are ideal but we really do need to figure out who you belong too. I will call for Madam Pomfrey at once and she can will be able to do some spells including a genealogy spell leading us to Harry's closest living relatives." With that Dumbledore stood up and turned, casting his Phoenix patronus to call on Madam Pomfrey. They waited in silence, Harry occasionally giggling or squealing as James held onto him. At some point he'd been put on the empty table top and had started crawling around from person to person and playing with them. Harry almost didn't even notice when Pomfrey bustled into the hall, looking like she had much better things to be doing than responding to the headmasters beckon call.