Chapter Ten - The Sports Festival part 3

She dipped her wings in ink, to cover up her scars, and wrote her story in the sky, her words lit up like stars. - C.A.M.

When I dream, it's of the night my mother died. 

There was rain was pouring down around me yet I couldn't feel it as I watched a younger version of myself squished between my parents under one umbrella. My mother was laughing and we looked so happy I wish It would stop the memory there, but that isn't the end. 

There's a sudden movement from the corner and then a sharp crack, my father shoves my mother and me behind him but the younger me is knocked down and her head hits the pavement. My father turns to look at me and at that moment the second shot goes off. 

Bang! My father stumbles backwards and the villains in front of us laughs. The younger me is beginning to move again and just as she sits up our father falls beside her on the street my mother screaming as she drops down beside him in panic, pressing her hands to his chest.

There's blood everywhere and I don't think my current expression is that far off from the one of horror and shock on the face of my younger self. But this time I see things a little differently I can hear the villain laughing at our panic and my mother muttering under her breath as she desperately tries to heal my father.

"I can do this, I've done it before I can do this" she chants almost like a prayer and then the light around her starts to fade I can see the cuts on her arms opening and the rain washes it till it looks like we are drowning in it finally she seems to realize it won't be enough she is fixing him but as she does she herself is fading. A single look of panic crosses her face before she looks at my younger self.

"You can save him,"  she says desperately tears streaming down her face. 

Something about her words must pull me out of the state of shock because I begin to move again my hands joining her on my father's blood-soaked chest and she smiles at me.

"You really are my angel," she says gently before collapsing beside him on the sidewalk the strain of her powers finally taking her. 

The villain standing and watching from the sidelines moves forward.

"I guess your the last one left then little Angel" his voice is menacing as he takes another step forward. 

I whimper for a moment still trying to help my dad and then finally I scream. It echoes down the streets around me. 

"Please no, HELP, SOMEONE HELP" my voice breaks on the last word as the fear starts taking over me again. I'm helplessly kneeling on the ground with my parent's bodies collapsed next to me, and a small whimper escapes my lips. The villain seems to take pleasure at this and smiles before opening his mouth to say something else. 

But I never get to hear what he might have said for at that moment a wall of fire blasts down the street knocking him back into a wall. Someone had heard my screams and I could see a man walking towards us now. It was a figure that the younger me didn't recognize, but even years younger I knew without a doubt who had saved my life. It was Endeavour. He was kneeling beside the younger me on the ground where I was sobbing. My father's wounds had closed now but he remained unconscious. My mother beside him was still bleeding from the slices in her arms and along her sides and thighs, it mingled on the ground with the rainwater and my father's blood in a way that made it look like she was bleeding a river. Yet all of this seemed oblivious to him as he stared at my mother's face.

"Wendy, what have you done" he half whispers to himself as he pulls her body towards him a look of horror I could have never imagined seeing on this mans face. 

I pull out my phone, still sobing as I can for an ambulance but Endevour doesn't even glance at me as he holds me mothers body, her blood still dripping onto the road.