Chapter One - The Entrance Exam

The world only exists in your eyes. You can make it as big or as small as you want. - F.S.F.

I stood at the edge of the skyscraper looking out at the city lights, feeling like I could see the whole world from there. Looking down I felt no fear, I was invincible up in the clouds, where no one could get to me. Then I heard a noise.

"Angel..." The voice is a low and singsong croon and I stumble closer feeling almost drawn.
"It's about to start," the voice calls in a teasing tone. "Prepare yourself."

And then I fall. Air rushes past me pulling my long white hair in tangles, tears fill my eyes as I look towards the ground getting closer and closer. I try to unfold my wings to save myself but there's nothing there. They aren't there I think as I begin to panic I'm going to hit the ground and then ...

 Beep. Beep. Beep.

I opened my eyes to stare at the cream and ink walls of my apartment, groaning I curled back into the blankets. Bad dream or not I didn't want to get up yet. I could tell it would be cold and I felt so warm in bed.

"I was feeling down in, couldn't win, I'd only ever kissed before..."

My second alarm started, damn it! I knew myself too well. Then it hit me, today is the day of the UA entrance test. I quickly pull my blankets off and start getting ready.

I tug a brush through my long tangled white hair, softening the curls to waves and pull on my favourite dark blue shorts and a white T-shirt with an open back. Why the huge hole?  Well because of my wings. As a part of my quirk, I have huge feathered light grey wings that I usually keep folded closed. Looking in the mirror one last time I decided to pull my hair out of the way and into a ponytail leaving just my bangs and a bit of hair framing my face and then I was on my way.

Getting to the exam was overwhelming there were so many people with so many skills, yet so few of us will pass. I can hear someone talking a few rows behind me but decide to ignore it, I can't let that distract me now. Suddenly the student beside me raised his hand perfectly straight and stands up abruptly.

"Excuse me sir, but on the layout, there are four, not three, and with all due respect, if this is a mistake on UA materials it is shameful. We are exemplary students and expect the best from Japan's most notable school." He speaks formally and then turning around to point he continues. "Additionally you with the unkempt hair, you have been muttering this entire time and if you can't take it seriously you should leave, and stop distracting the rest of us."

With that, the green-haired boy he pointed at, - who had the biggest eyes I had ever seen - appeared to cower in his seat whispering a "sorry." 

Some people stopped to laugh at this but I only felt a flare of indignation on the boy's behalf and turn to the tall bespectacled boy.  

"Although I respect how candid you are being, how are you to know how other people handle stress and that he isn't taking it seriously. You should know every person in this room worked hard to get here and will be taking it seriously, I wouldn't have called him as distracting by far, as your comment has now proven to be and would ask you to try and be more considerate in future."
I finished with a bit of a huff turning back to face the front and away from his startled expression. Yes, that may have been rude, but though I constantly had trouble standing up for myself, I happened to have a bit of a temper when it comes to other people. And that poor boy had looked so ashamed at his words I couldn't help but feel angry on his behalf. 

WingsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara