If only...

Darkness was... everywhere. Frisk felt it in their body, in their soul, in their mind. It consumed their every thought and every feeling. They couldn't see. Well, it had always been that way. They were blind. They had never been able to see.

So how had they come so far? Done such cruelties? Hurt so many people? It wasn't really Frisk themself. It was their guide. Their 'friend'. This being was known as 'the player' and Frisk had a great deal of respect for them. The player always knew what to do and they were always right. So why did genocide feel so... wrong?

A familiar voice went through Frisk's eardrums. Chara's voice. The Fallen Human.

"Greetings," Chara said. Frisk could tell Chara wasn't talking to them. They were talking to the player.

Frisk tuned out as they heard Chara's monologue. They'd already heard it so many times and they were so sick of it they were willing to just throw their SOUL into Chara's hands and be done with it.

Frisk was forced to hand over their SOUL as they had done previously on multiple occasions. It was all because of the player, in the end.

Now Frisk would never get a happy ending.

"You do not look very happy, child." Chara said, once the player had temporarily left.

Before the timeline was reset, Frisk had a few brief moments of time to themself. Though, they had to share that time with Chara.

Frisk shook their head, glancing away with a frown.

"I can understand why," Chara said. "I wish they would stop doing such horrible things too, but I do not have enough power to stop them until the very end of their run. That, or I am giving them far too many chances to stop and reset." They glanced at Frisk. "You deal with them very well, considering they control you like a puppet."

Frisk bowed their head.

"I just... don't want anyone else to die." they sighed. "I don't want anyone to get hurt. I trust the player since they are my e-eyes, I guess, but... I don't like it when they make me hurt people."

"Hmm..." Chara looked thoughtful. "Your concern gives me an idea. How about we help each other out?" They looked inquisitive. "You should know, you gather your determination from the player, since you are not born with it naturally. I will help you get determination without the player's assistance, if you give me your current determination in return." Their voice was slightly dreamy. "We will form a partnership. A working bond. You will be my partner and I will be yours. Every timeline we visit will not involve genocide. You will never have to worry about the player again and neither will I. How about it?"

"Give my determination to you?" Frisk asked. "But won't I...?"

"Your body is used to having no determination for a long duration of time," Chara said. "You will be fine. As long as you do not try to ruin your SOUL with a substance such as HATE."

"I don't even know what that is," Frisk giggled. They tilted their head as their red SOUL floated above them. "Wait, partnership... are you saying you wanna be my friend?" They grinned.

"No, fool," Chara growled. "I do not befriend humans. I am only working with you. There is a difference."

"Aww," Frisk pouted. "But I wanted to be friends with you..."

"Well that's too bad," Chara replied. "But I am assuming you agree to my deal?"

"I sure do, Chara!" Frisk cheered brightly. They gasped. "We should have costumes, and a theme song, and a dance routine! Wouldn't that be so cool?!"

"What have I gotten myself into..." Chara groaned, face-palming. "Right, give me your determination. That should cease that nonsense behaviour of yours."