saadiya

Summer began to slip in to fall and Michael had yet to return to life in the west. It was quiet and peaceful for him in the country and he cherished the picnics, late night fireworks and long drives it afforded him and the children.
September brought a momentary change as the family traveled to New York. Although the bodyguards secretly fretted over money, they marveled as Michael once again transformed himself into the King of Pop. Morphing before their eyes into the icon they both knew from their youth. Ebony magazine planned a tribute for Thriller’s 25th anniversary and it was decided that the photoshoot would herald the return of music’s greatest star. A stylist was hired and Michael allowed her to draw upon the latest European fashions. Appearing refreshed and ready to face the world, Michael looked forward to the opportunity to once again take his place as a star. Walking on to the set in Brooklyn he marveled at the museum’s art and counted his blessings that his work was being in honored in such a place. Yet the bright spot continued to be marred by worrisome cash issues and he sensed his employee’s growing despair. Nevertheless, the group made their way back to Virginia…seemingly in retreat from a world that was increasingly moving on without him.
Receiving an assignment early one morning, Javon drove to the airport. He was curious about who was arriving, but had little information from his boss. A few minutes after the flight he was looking for landed, he received a text message from an unknown number. The sender requested his presence immediately at baggage claim. Clad in his black suit and shades she found him searching the sea of people looking for someone familiar. While she waited for him to take her suitcase, Saadiya could see the puzzled look on his face. Javon hesitated, wondering who this woman was and why it was not the “Friend” who had visited earlier in the summer. Since it seemed clear that Mr. Jackson was in love with the previous woman.
“Are you going to take my bags, or shall I?”
Her steady gaze brought him back to the moment as he reached for her luggage.
“My apologies ma’am, please come this way.”
She settled into the back seat reading off an address at least an hour from the lodge. Seeing the look of dismay she showed as she arrived at her room he noted that her Louis Vuitton bags had probably seen classier places than the non-descript chain hotel she had been brought to. As he deposited her and her luggage in her room Javon asked.
“Can I do anything else for you Ma’am?”
Watching as she removed the intricately hand painted scarf from around her neck he stared at the bright flowers that adorned it.
“No, he already knows my whereabouts. He will be around later.”
Politely nodding Javon left her, glad that his assignment was complete.
Soon Michael’s phone buzzed and he answered it with much trepidation.
“Hi”
“This is the best place you can find?”
“I’m glad you arrived safely Saadiya, I take it you are resting?”
With a voice that was clearly exasperated she replied,
“Couldn’t you even meet me at the airport Michael? It has been such a long time and I am ready to see you.”
His head hurt and he really wasn’t in the mood for her games. Since she had taken it upon herself to show up and march back into his life, much like his ex-wife had done many times.
“Blanket is sick, I have to be here to take care of him.”
She didn’t answer for a moment, a long moment.
“I shall see you tomorrow.”
It was a statement not a request and he momentarily thought about reconsidering and going to meet her. Remembering their lovemaking, he wished that somehow he could sleep with her, if only to silence the longing in his loins.
“I will do my best…”
Realizing she had hung up without answering back, he was relieved. While he slipped the phone back into his pocket, he watched through the window as Blanket played ball with his brother. Healthy and carefree. A pang of regret coursed through his body, but he knew ultimately he wouldn’t go to see her and his son would continue to be his excuse why.
Javon made the daily trip to check on her for the next four days until she finally asked to be driven to the airport. The hurt showed clearly in her eyes and she lacked the overt confidence of when she first arrived. Standing at the departure line she quietly thanked him for his help and wrapped the flowered scarf around her head, ready to return to her life without spending time with Michael.
______________________