3.

This has definitely been long-awaited: so here you go, the third chapter! Thank you readers!

The Eiffel Tower was always seen as a romantic, beautiful landmark to the citizens of Paris- but to the saviors of Paris, it was an entirely different thing; a place for tired superheroes to relax, especially after patrolling the city.

Not that Chat Noir didn't see it as romantic.

He had been roaming around for only a few minutes when he spotted something red in the center of the tower, the very platform he was now vaulting towards.

Ladybug's out and about, too? He wondered.

Landing with a gentle thud of feet against iron, he gazed ahead to see the red-and-black clad hero turning to face him.

"Doesn't your patrol start at seven? Why are you here so early?" She asked, looking him up and down.

Chat Noir sauntered over to stand next to her.
"Oh, I just didn't have much else going on," he admitted with a sigh. Dang you, Plagg.

Same here, I guess, Ladybug thought, nodding silently. After a moment, she found herself absently fidgeting with the red ribbon holding one of her pigtails in place.

"So, what have you been up to, Bugaboo?" Chat Noir questioned, watching her fix her hair with great interest. She reluctantly turned to face him.

"Nothing much. Just, ah.." she searched for a way to word it. "Dealing with some things I'd rather not think about right now."

As she stared at the iron platform below their feet, Chat Noir noticed the redness around her eyes.

He extended his gloved hand, which she hesitantly placed hers in.

Ladybug braced herself for the feeling of awkwardness, which-to her surprise- never seemed to come. Chat Noir trained his eyes on hers again.

"I know you're going to keep whatever it is you're dealing with a secret.. but I'm still here for you," he concluded, pulling her arm in and wrapping his own around her in a gentle embrace.

What? Ladybug stiffened, confused. Somehow, it had been the last thing she'd expected. Even from the lovey-dovey cat.

Exhaling deeply, she hugged him back, but only for a moment before breaking away.

"Thank you, Chat," she murmured, crossing her arms against her chest as the brisk air wooshed past. It was normally pretty temperate in Paris, but winter was still quite chilly.

She hadn't noticed it until she left the warmth of his body pressed against her own.

Meanwhile, her partner was standing there in a daze, eyes closed.

I never knew she smelled..so good, he thought. Spices and sugar and everything good in the world, right out of the oven. He blinked his eyes open, realizing that the scent had left his nose, which was ultra-sensitive in his alter-ego form.

Ladybug just stood there, biting her lip to keep from laughing.

"C-Chat? What the heck are you..."

But he had already pulled her close once again, inhaling deeply.

"You smell better than anything in the world.." he mumbled.

Ladybug was conflicted between yelling at him to get off or bursting into laughter.

Luckily, she didn't have to choose.

"CHAT! an- AN AKUMA!" She shouted in surprise, eyeing the little purple butterfly that was flying towards the tower.

Breaking away, Chat Noir frantically turned towards his partner's outstretched finger, which was pointing at the evil thing that was less than 20 feet away from them.

The heroes were panicked. They were used to following akumas, not being the target of them.
"Chat! Are you angry?!? Don't be angry! I'm not sad! I'm as happy as can be!" Ladybug said in a rush, her voice rising.

"I-I'm totally fine! The Cat's Meow! Couldn't be better!" Chat Noir shouted, pacing next to his partner.
"C-Canyoupurifyit?!?" He yelped as the butterfly fluttered less than a foot away from him. He swung his staff at it, trying to get it away.

Just then, the akuma was gone, and an ornate, purple scroll fell from nowhere, into his hands. It was no more than six inches across and had little golden handles, which he and Ladybug were now pulling out to read the message beneath.

Thankfully, unlike the Book of the Miraculous, the text inked on the scroll was in a language they both could easily read.

"You have not surrendered your miraculous to me thus far. The only logical move now is for me to heighten the stakes," Chat Noir read aloud, confused.
"I am holding hostage the town's baker and his wife. Unless you want their poor daughter to end up on the streets, I suggest you surrender soon. Time is of the essence," Ladybug finished, her voice shaking.

Mama and Papa. Hawkmoth took them.

She had tried not to dwell on their disappearance, because the reason why was uncertain.

But now? She knew. And she was scared.