5.

The anticipation and fear that Adrien tried not to let show was heightened to a point of insanity as the last note of La Vie En Rose (a piano accompaniment) faded to nothing. It hadn't even been held by a fermata, yet the note still seemed to drag on forever.

After a few moments, Adrien shifted on the smooth, pristine black bench he was sitting on to face his father.

However, when Adrien met his eyes, that wretched feeling in the pit of his stomach increased.

The cold and calculating gaze of Mr.Agreste revealed nothing.

The tension could have been cut with a knife.

Every passing millisecond was kindling to the burning flame of Adrien's thoughts.

Did he know that I didn't practice as much as I was supposed to? Will I have enough time to set up the dinner for Ladybug and I?

All he could do was stare expectantly, refusing to show any emotion that would reveal his nervousness.

Finally, after a dreadfully long pause, Mr.Agreste straightened his tie and spoke.

"Your performance was adequate."

He stood up, making his exit out of the spacious room without another word.

As soon as the door shut with finality, the blond-haired boy rose up, smiling with relief and excitement.

"I did it. I did good enough. Plagg, did you hear that? It was nearly... a compliment!"

Adrien glanced over to his left, where his kwami had been hovering silently. "Yeah, yeah kid. Don't you have that secret rendezvous to plan?" Plagg replied, uninterested. He was currently occupied with a search for leftover cheese in his owner's gym bag.

"Oh, yeah, of course!"

Adrien knew that the whole dinner ordeal should feel more somber, as Ladybug would be revealing what had been weighing on her.

Or.... you could say bugging her.

But even that couldn't override the fact that he would be having dinner with the love of his life.

Grinning, he transformed in the blink of an eye. The black cat zipped out the window, off to purchase some candles and flowers.

~~

The cold, running water did seemingly nothing to soothe Marinette's hand.

She had been attempting to bake some croissants to clear her mind after all that had happened today.

Now, she thought, studying the huge red welt covering her right hand, I've got one more thing to worry about. Great.

Marinette closed her eyes and took a deep breath in. She would focus and deal with it like she did with everything else.

I can do this.

Instead of finishing the ruined batch of croissants, the bluenette knew that the only option at the moment to go to the local store across the street.

I can get a wrap for my hand, and maybe some white flour, she thought, looking over at the mess of ingredients in the once-clean sink.

Yeah, I better. I wasted a ton of it on those croissants!

And, with that, Marinette grabbed her purse, pulling it over her arm and opening the clasp so that Tikki could fly inside.

And she was out the door, the cool breeze and darkening sky guiding her on her path.

-

Hello lovely readers!! You have (already ) reached the A/N of this (extremely short) chapter. I'm really sorry it's not longer 😰 . I did want to mention that I did this partly because the next section is about a...meeting at the store, and it's probably going to be more lengthy ;)
Also, Winterguard tryouts are tonight!! I've been working really hard, so wish me luck lol :)    (note: yes, I made it, and it was a wonderful season!)

THANKS FOR READING, next chapter should be out next week :D