Chapter 45

Soren rose an eyebrow, "Are you sure? You and your team just arrived in my fort, so I'm not entirely certain you'd want to do this."

I chuckled, "Hey, I need to get used to this realm, so going with your group is the best way to do exactly that. This trip will also show me what I should expect to run into while traversing Mareth."

Soren contemplated what I said before shrugging. "Very well. If you wish to come with, then so be it. Do you want anyone else from your team coming along with us?"

I looked at Luna, "Wanna tag along?"

"Sure, why not," She replied with a slight grin.

I then looked at Stanford, "What about you Pinesworth?"

His expression told me his answer before he opened his mouth to respond. "You know it Hel. I'm coming along whether you like it or not."

Catching his message, I nodded.

I turned my attention to the rest of my team and smiled, "Stay in the fortress, don't do anything stupid, and don't die."

Dorrian sighed, "I really appreciate your words of wisdom, asshole."

Simon observed this exchange silently. He then laughed and asked: "Is that how you usually address your friends and comrades? By calling them obscene slurs and insults?"

Dorrian laughed, "You know it rust bucket."

"That's not very kind of you, asshole," Simon retorted, looking at Soren, "I used that word correctly, yes?"

Soren groaned, "Yes, you did. I now have the feeling you'll be learning a few colorful words over the course of this mission..."

"And that's a bad thing?" Simon inquired, head tilted to the side curiously.

Soren rubbed his temples, "A part of me says yes, but perhaps I'll never know..."

Simon chuckled, looking at Tanis. "Hello Tanis. How are you?"

She chuckled, "Hello Simon. I'm feeling quite well."

He nodded, "That's good to hear."

Nova grinned, "Don't lose your mind while you're gone, Helix. That'd be a crying shame if that happened."

Ana snorted, "I think he's already lost his mind. Hell, he keeps hanging out with us, which is insane, borderline-suicidal behavior."

Dorrian rolled his eyes, "Hanging around you? Yeah, without a doubt. You have enough knives to take a dragon down without even batting an eyelash."

Ana's grin chilled me to the bone: "Oh, you know it."

I looked at Soren, "Can we please go?"

Soren groaned once again as he saw his wife talking excitedly with Analise while Dorrian stood off to the side with a mortified expression on his face, "Yeah, let's go before I have any second thoughts. Hey Sasha! You're in charge while I'm gone!"

"Got it, love!" She replied, "You can count on me!"

Soren looked sick to his stomach, "Okay..."

He motioned for me, Luna, and Stanford to follow him.

"Remember," Soren began as the gate opened up before us, "Have your weapons at the ready. You can never know when a demon is going to pop up and attack you, so it helps to be prepared."

I nodded and drew my sword, "Got it. Lead the way, and we'll follow."

We left the fortress and walked along a dirt path through the strange forest. Among the varying shades of green, I caught sight of other colors amongst the forest: purples, oranges, blues yellows, and pinks. I was mesmerized by this forest of colors, but the look of warning of Soren's face told me enough.