Sophie's Tale

A/N This is Sophie and all them set in Rapunzel, where Sophie is Rapunzel, the Witch of the Waste is Sophie's evil mother, and all the rest. 

A grey light filtered through the windows, and the sounds of fluttering birds chirping echoed through the room. Sophie woke up a couple moments later, irritated by the sound, and wishing covering her ears with her hair would block it out. But her hair was far too heavy, and if she wrapped it entirely around her head, she would surely suffocate.

She sat up, the blanket pooling around her waist, and groaned, not wanting to go through the grievous and yet necessary step of brushing her hair. How long was it now? She lost track when it ended up being long enough to wrap around her leg and make it fall asleep. That was not a pleasant experience to wake up to.

She got out of her bed, carefully avoiding stepping over her hair, and went over to her desk with a mirror perched above it. She grabbed her comb, and slowly pulled through the tangles, and what felt like an hour later when she was nearly done, the comb broke. She sighed, noting that that was the fifth one in the past month to break. Why couldn't she just cut her hair again? Oh right, her caretaker the Witch of the Waste would probably kill her.

Sophie used to be utterly frightened of the woman, until very recently, when the Witch had began to show her true age. Sophie had noticed many more neck rolls, and always a lot of sweat soaking the front and back of her unflattering dress whenever she called Sophie to let down her hair. Now whenever Sophie noticed a new roll in the Witches body, she couldn't help but feel slightly sorry for the woman. But only slightly.

As the day continued on, Sophie grew hungrier and hungrier. She whistled a tune that she learned that for the birds meant to get her some food, and give it to her quickly. About a minute later, two birds landed soundlessly on the balcony, and dropped two apples to the dusty floor. She picked both up, setting one on the desk, and began to daintily take bites out of the other one.

By the time the sun was setting, she heard the familiar call of "Sophie, Sophie, let down your hair!" Sophie hurriedly walked over to the balcony, tossing as much hair as she could over it. She was always astounded how close to the ground her hair was from such a high up room in such a tall, spiraling tower. Her amazement was shortly lived as she felt the tug of the Witch as she ascended. Sophie moved to the side, hopefully allowing enough space for the woman to enter through.

"Sophie," The Witch groaned out, taking in big breaths, before continuing, "Sophie are you going to eat that apple over there?" She pointed to the apple perched ever so carefully atop the desk. "I was planning to eat it for dinner tonight, so yes." Sensing the Witches annoyance, Sophie quickly added, "But I could cut in half and you could have the bigger half if you'd like." The Witch nodded eagerly, looking at Sophie expectantly. "Oh, what, now? Alright. I only have a butter knife though..."

Sophie crossed the room, and pulled out said butter knife, and slowly began to slice through the apple, making sure it was slightly uneven to give the illusion the Witch was getting a larger portion. As she handed the Witch her apple slice, the Witch piped up with a complaint Sophie had heard nearly every day since she could remember. "Why is your hair such a mousey brown? Can't we dye it? You would look much prettier with golden locks or even raven colored hair. Especially with those bangs of yours. Why did I have to be cursed with such an ugly child..." Sophie sighed and quietly said, "Sorry, can't really control things like that."

After the Witch finished her portion, she licked the juices off her fingers and promptly exited, by creating some sort of magical door through the room. Sophie thought it so frustrating how the Witch could simply exit the room with just a little magic, but if Sophie ever left the room, she'd have to jump and she'd probably break her neck!