15. Alexander

I hesitantly flutter my eyes open to be greeted by a blinding white light glaring directly into my pupils.

Oh crap, I'm still dead.

Adjusting my eyes to the light, a pounding migraine begins to spread across my forehead and ultimately concentrate it's pain in the area between my eyebrows. Attempting to sit up proves even more difficult as an aching sensation spiderwebs through my entire back, but nonetheless I push myself into a sitting position. As my eyes fully adjust, I begin to look from left to right. Once I fully turn to the right, I am startled by a pair of slate gray eyes examining me closely.

Constance?

"Am I in hell?" I bemuse and her face begins to contort with disapproval at my inquiry.

"Do you see Dante around?" She questions brusquely, and in response I dazedly inspect the room for the sight of my pyrokinetic friend.

"You're an idiot." Constance bluntly remarks as she rocks backwards in the wooden chair beside my bed.

Why is she here?

More importantly, How long has she been here for?

As I'm about to verbalize my questions, she jumps up out of the chair to stand with her arms crossed across her chest. She shifts her eyes awkwardly around, refusing to make eye contact with me before she speaks with unusual gentleness in her tone,

"Are you okay?" As she asks, she shuffles uncomfortably in her spot as her cheeks flare a cherry red.

Before I reply I find myself inwardly chuckling at her bashfulness and relishing in her unconventional compassionate approach towards me.

"Sore as hell." I mumble as I attempt to further my sitting position only to suffer additional anguish through the entirety of my body.

"Perfect."

"What?" I stare at her in dismay over her rapid shift in tone, but before I can fully process the events unraveling I feel a cold small hand wrap around my wrist and begin to tug. Within a matter of seconds I'm being dragged from my cot and through the infirmary. I gaze around at the empty office and silently find myself questioning further on how long I was unconscious for.

"Eight hours. You missed lunch and dinner, but you also managed to get out of cleaning." Constance answers stoically causing my face to heat up with frustration at her ability to predict my thoughts.

"Shouldn't I be the mind-reader?" I assert causing her to halt in her determined journey to God knows where.

"Oi I see how much it's helped you lad."

I feel my eye twitching with agitation at her taunt about my evident weakness.

Catching onto my disapproval, a small smirk tugs at the corner of her pale pink lip,

"But no worries blondie, we're going to change that."

"Wha-"

I begin to stammer out but am interrupted once more by her incessant tugging on my wrist forcing me to follow her lead.

Blondie?

After about two minutes of being dragged through the seemingly endless corridors of the golden castle I am greeted by the classroom that beared witness to my embarrassing demise this morning.

Wordlessly, the sharp-tongued black haired female opens the door and yanks me inside. Once we're fully emerged into the room and my mind begins sifting through the warlike flashbacks from earlier she releases her iron-like grasp on my wrist.