26

I sat at the quaint, stainless steal table with my egg roll and chicken fried rice placed in front of me. The balcony door was open, wind to flow through the apartment. My sheer curtains waved continuously at a steady pace, my eyes soaking up the image. The sun was beginning to set and my old Louis Armstrong record played quietly in the back ground. Sat across from me was Evan. My sweet Evan. Only, his eyes weren't on me, they were glued to his phone.

"Babe?" I watched as he grunted to let me know he was listening but I knew he wasn't.

I sat there quietly and patiently. "Yeah?" He finally looked up at me for a quick second but returned his gaze to his phone.

"Do you have somewhere else to be?" I asked, slightly annoyed.

He hit a few more buttons on his phone and looked up at me, placing it on the table, still looking distracted. "No, no. I'm here, I'm sorry. What were you saying?"

I smiled at the fact he just put his phone down to actually listen but when I opened my mouth to speak his phone went off again. I paused, both our eyes glancing towards the phone. I waited to see his next move. What I wanted him to say was, I'm sorry, let me turn it off. Instead, he gave me a sympathetic look and picked it up again.

"I'm sorry, we're trying to close this big deal," He paused to read his message and looked up at me once more. "I gotta go. I'm real sorry. Raincheck?" He asked as he got up and began gathering his things. I just nodded and gave my best supporting smile I could muster up. After the door shut I sat there for what felt like ages. I loved him but he has been putting his job first for so long. I want to be supportive but it's hard when you feel so unimportant to the person you're supposed to mean the most to.

I slowly ate and sat there thinking about the past two days when my phone rang. Harry's name displayed across the screen. I watched as it rang, one ring, two ring. Hesitantly, I grabbed the phone. Is it Harry as in my Harry? Should I answer? 

Of course I should answer.

"Hello?" I answered, alrighty confused, slightly nervous. I don't remember ever asking for his number.

"Alex!" He cheered happily from the other end of the line.

"Harry? How'd you get my number?"

"Oh, last night after you laid down I put it in your phone. You should really get a better password. The square isn't cutting it anymore." I paused at the fact that he still new my password, then smiled.

"Well, what's up?" I pushed the food around my plate as I listened to his deep and cheery voice.

"I just finished a photoshoot and I'm going to this party in a few, I was hoping that maybe you'd consider coming?" I could hear in his voice how badly he wanted me to say yes. I sat there for a few seconds thinking. Should I go? Should I stay here? "Alex?" He whined, making me laugh. I haven't heard him whine like that in ages.

I placed my fork down and sighed with a smile. "Ok fine, I'll go." I said getting up to go change.

"Yes! Okay, well, I'm here." I paused in my foot steps, confused by his words. "I'm down stairs, black car." I knew there was a little smirk across his face.

"Mm," I rolled my eyes. His cocky self knowing I'd say yes. " Okay, well let me get dressed."

"Alex, by the way, this isn't a classy party. This is more of a..." His voice trailed off as he tried to find the words.

"Don't worry, I think I have something." With that I hung up the phone and proceeded to my closet. The dress I chose was a dress I hadn't worn often, maybe once. When I finally slipped into it I looked in the mirror and thank myself for going to the gym all those times. The dress fit perfectly. I let my hair down from the messy bum it was in and used my straightener to give it a few light curls. I did my makeup, a more natural look since I was in a rush and added some hair spray and perfume for the last touch. The small diamond and the rose ring I never take off went well with my diamond earrings. I put on some shinny lipgloss and slipped on my black heals with a single strap around the ankle. With that, I was satisfied and made my way out the door and down the elevator.