Burnout

“I assume you brought me here so I could practice?” She chucked the apple core across the field and rubbed at her shoulder.

In the weeks since they had started this journey, he had been looking forward to this night. Beltane was her night. A night of fire and dreams.

“Ignite them, and keep the fires controlled and even all night.”

“All three.” It was not a question.

“Keep the end ones low for the jumpers. The middle one should be scorching the clouds.”

She looked at him with a slight fear in her eyes. She had just begun to master her powers, but she still needed to master control.

“This could easily turn lethal.”

He lifted a hand and allowed the wind to stir around her. He could not help the glee he felt, tonight their magic could work together.

“I’ll be here.”

“And if I somehow still manage to turn someone into a living torch?”

He smiled, though the smile was lost on her.

“Then it’s a good thing the healers are also here to celebrate.”

She gave him a dirty look and rolled her shoulders. “When do you want to start?”  

“Now.”

He stood with her, watching and guiding her. He watched the sweat roll down her neck.  She was beginning to lose control, “Easy.”

“I know.”

His magic was dancing along his bones.

“When can I stop?”

Her flames had also evolved in the past weeks. What started as blue now was a range of colors from the brightest rubies to the darkest sapphires.

“When I say so.”

He was amazed, the well of power she had rivaled his. She just needed to learn how to control the power. They had the opposite problem of most fae. The strength they had to possess was to control the power from destroying everything around them. He remembered his early lessons, how he felt like a failure when he could not easily control his powers like his cousins. His favorite tutor once told him that learning control over his powers was like as damming a mighty river instead of damming a trickling stream.

“I’m sweating to death, I’m starving, and I want a break.”

He held back a laugh.

“Resorting to whining?”

He sent a cool breeze and immediately regretted the move when the moan that escaped her went straight to his cock. Gods be damned, she was beautiful. He had known by the number of males he had to chase away, but in this moment he saw the woman she was becoming. It was bad enough that his magic betrayed him when it came to her, he was uncertain if he could handle it if his body betrayed him as well. Boundaries, they needed boundaries.

“Just a little while longer.”

He was torn between sending another chilled wind in the hopes of hearing another sweet moan from her or…

He watched as her flames change, the change almost took his breath away. She could not lite a single candle, but she just unlocked shaping her flames.

“Easy.”

That is when he noticed the flames matched the beat of the music.

“Music. That day on the ice, you were humming.”