Aelin's birthday

He examined the demi-fae, same as all the others. He shuddered at the thought that this could have been Aelin. The monster had been close to the fortress, too close. What bothered him the most, was that he could not scent the demon they were hunting. If what they were doing could even be considered hunting. They were simply aware of the demon’s existence.

When he received news he held hope that this scene would be different then all the others, that there would be a single clue. Any clue. It had only been hours since the body was discovered, and it appeared to be discovered soon after their final breathe.

This body was the same as the others, just a husk of the body remained as if all their life force had been consumed. The location was as random as the others. He decided to fly to the closest town, but knew it would be the same as before. The locals would not know the Demi-fae and no one in the town would be considered missing.

Armed with gold and silver, he walked the streets. The town folk were open to talk, but as he suspected, they knew nothing of a missing person and nothing of the local Demi-fae.

His thoughts pulled him to Aelin. Nineteen. He could barely recall his nineteenth birthday. He’d been young and full of dreams. Edna knowing his dream of greatness had gifted him a dagger, one that he still carried. His parents had faded soon after his eighteenth birthday. If it had not been for Edna and a few of his other cousins, it would have been just another day forgotten only to be observed by him.

If the world had been different, the Princess would have been preparing for a ball in her honor instead of being forced to lie in bed recovering from a near burn-out. There would be no ball at the fortress, not even a dinner in her honor. He doubted that anyone besides himself knew that it was her birthday.

The scent of chocolate wafted on the breeze, pulling him from his thoughts of Aelin and the Demi-fae.

The confectioner did not blanch like she had on the previous visit.

Surprising him she spoke before he had a chance, “I have a batch of hazelnut truffles cooling, I remember they were a favorite of your companion. Would you like a box?”

Hiding his shock, “Yes, it’s her birthday.”

He’s not sure why he said it. It’s not like she would give him special chocolates just because it was Aelin’s birthday. The confectioner nodded and a few moments later handed him a box with a bow.  

He could not recall the last time that he had bought a birthday present or received one. If he wanted to torture himself he knew the answer, knew that it would have been over two hundred years ago, when he had still hoped and dreamed for greatness. He knew his last birthday wish was for greatness and he had found it. The cost had been too damn high.