act 1, scene 5 - the audition

I felt incredibly guilty watching Jessie agonize over her sheet music, knowing it would all be for nothing as soon they announced we'd be sight-reading from the show. I tried telling her not to stress as much, but she brushed me off.

The look on her face when Mr. Phelps and Ms. Listine made the announcement killed me a little inside. She frantically got up and was one of the first to make her selection from the music. She picked His Eyes, the same one I picked and I had sung earlier with Christian.

Once everyone had made their selection, Christian played the accompaniment while Mr. Phelps dramatically belted every note, teaching us the music. I looked around while the boys were practicing their song and made eye contact briefly with Nick. Instead of looking away awkwardly like I would have done a year ago, I flashed a flirty smiled. Despite him singing, my heart fluttered as he gave a slight smile back.

After the learning portion, they sent everyone into the hall and called us in one-by-one. I was the very first one and I wondered if Leila or Emmy had some pull. Christian winked at me and I stood on the stage, the directors sitting in the audience.

So no matter his cast away looks,

Our love is one for the books.

And while she'll always stand to the side,

I'll be the one he doesn't have to hide.

"Very good, Penelope," Ms. Listine finally said after a long moment of silence. Emmy gave me a super thumbs up and Leila waved her arms from their seat behind them. "Please tell the next person we're ready for them."

I walked off the stage and up the aisle. There were people standing outside and I accidentally hit them with the door. I realized, they were crowded around to listen. Jessie was among them.

"How did you do that, Penny?" She asked.

"Do what?"

"That was perfect. You're telling me you just learned those pieces, just like everybody else?" She looked... angry, almost.

"Yeah, I guess I just got lucky." The guilt made my fingertips and cheeks burn. "Do you want me to help you with yours?"

She was still a good few people out. I knew I had to go check the scene partner assignments and practice my side, but I couldn't just strand her there. We went into a desolate corner and began to work.

She had a lovely voice, I could see why she had leads in her last few towns as well. She just needed some guidance on where the notes were. The only nerve-wracking part was that she couldn't anything too high - include the final "So he's mine!" that seals the song on a high pitch. I assured her that she'd be fine and it was probably just nerves.

She still looked queasy as her name was called for her to go in.

Now, it was time for me to go see who I would be doing a scene from the book with. They'd taken everyone who had registered for auditions in advance and compiled a list of names in pairs. Those who had completed a singing portion were gathered around the sheet of paper. I found my name and the one beside it.

Nick Dupont.

I turned to look over the crowd and spotted him. He waved me over.

"Did you already go yet?" I asked, meeting him on the fringes of where people were congregating.

"Yeah, I think it went pretty well. I'm just excited to keep going." He had perfect dimples. My energy was focused on not getting lost in those ocean-deep eyes and full on swooning. "Here, I picked up our sides. I'm glad we got paired up."