Chapter Thirteen

~Chapter Thirteen~

In This Moment

The sun that warmed the cold land of England had hidden itself behind the horizon, leaving the Moon and night to take over. The silent world tucked in to sleep however the forest of Sherwood was alive with folk music and dancing. The night nipped at the gathered people under the treetops of the forest. A huge bonfire was built where many drank or danced or just kept warm with conversation.

Marian and Robin sit just outside a treehouse watching the others as they gather by the bonfire below.

"How is it that a once arrogant young nobleman, has found contentment living rough with the salt of the earth?"

Robin smiled at her question, "I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle. And I've seen the loneliest, unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body, to defend a dying horse. Nobility is not a birthright, it's defined by ones actions."

Marian looked taken back by his words, "It's interesting to hear you say that."

Robin shook his head solemnly, "I didn't. My father did."

"Did the holy quest raise your hatred of him?"

Robin turned his gaze from Marian, "I don't know. All I know was that our last words spoken in this world were spoken in anger. I was lost after my mother died. My father too and for a short time he found comfort in the arms of another woman. I thought he was betraying my mother's memory. For the love of a twelve years old boy who would never forgive him." Robin meekly smiled as he glanced over to a intently listening Lady, "Anyway, who says I'm content? I've my plans for the future."

Marian laughed at his last words, smiling a beautiful and bright smile, "No?! A grander scheme than this?" Her hand gestured to the forest empire that he created.

The rich boy chuckled and shook his head at Marian, "No, a simpler one. A home, a family...love."

The Lady Marian smiled at his words, "Men speak conveniently of love when it's serves their purpose. And when it doesn't it's a burden to them." Her eyes flickered over to the man at her side, "Robin of the Hood, Prince of thieves. Is he capable of love?"

They simply look at each other for a moment, sharing a smile.

Below there is a commotion as Wulf pushes through people, "Father!" The boy continued to barrel through the crowd to his father who sat near the fire, "Father! Mother, she's dying!"

~~

Sitting a ways from the fire sat Will and Evemina. The final sentence of Wulf's rollers echoed throughout the camp. Her emerald eyes widened as she immediately stood to her feet.

Fanny was dying?!

The maiden was swiftly joined with Will at her side. Her eyes stared at John and Wulf as they sprinted towards the hut that housed Fanny. The celebration was put to a halt as they all awaited the outcome. Silence was thick in the forest as all eyes were fixed upon the hut.

Evemina paced back and forth, holding in her breath. "Mina?"

Her emerald eyes glanced over to an equally worried Will Scarlet.

The young man placed his hands on the maiden's shoulders, "Fanny is going to be fine."

"B-but the baby..."

"The baby will be fine too."

"But the stress! It could really hurt the baby." The maiden glanced around to the hut.

"Mina..." Will softly whispered, causing Evemina to meet his gaze. "Do not worry."

From the hut, Friar Tuck and John exited the hut making the maiden more anxious. To stop her from pacing and to comfort her, Will wrapped his strong arms around Mina and held her close.