Chapter 2

Lucinda, Evelyn, and Jonathan made their way to the prison in Cairo. Jonathan said that he stole the puzzle box from a prisoner after their little conversation with the curator. They came to ask the prisoner about his puzzle box and where exactly he found it. They walked to the gates of the prison arm in arm, both sisters on the outside, making sure that Jonathan couldn't back out and escape.

"Come, come! Step over the threshold. Welcome to Cairo Prison, my humble home!" The warden said to the siblings as they walked in.

"You told me you got it on a dig down in Thebes!" Evy said in annoyance.

"Yeah well, I was mistaken," Jonathan said trying to avoid eye contact with her.

"You lied to me," she says giving him a glare.

"He lies to everyone Evy! What makes us so special!?" Lucy said as she looked at her sister.

"We're his sisters!" Evy says in reply.

"Well that just makes you both more gullible," he says trying to get out of the grip of his sisters.

"Jonathan, you stole it from a drunk at the local Kasper!" Evy says while following the warden of the prison with her siblings.

"Picked his pocket actually," he said trying to turn around and escape.

"Jonathan stop being so ridiculous! Now, what exactly is this man in prison for?" Lucy says to Jonathan before asking the warden.

"Well this, I do not know. But when I heard you were coming, I asked him that myself," the warden says while calling his men to get the prisoner.

"Well, what exactly did he say?" Evy asked.

"He said he was looking for a good time," the warden said while the doors open and the man was brought out with much force. The siblings looked at the man as with a weird look.

"This... this is the man you stole it from?" Lucy asked her brother in disbelief. She didn't hear her brothers answer as the man spoke.

"Who are you? And who're the broads?" He asked, to the Carnahan siblings.

"Broads?!"

"I guess I've been called worse," both Evy and Lucy exclaimed at the same time.

"I'm just a local sort of missionary chap, spreading the good word. These are my sisters, Evy and Lucy." Jonathan said while pulling us forward towards the man.

"Yeah well, I guess they're not a total loss," he said rudely. Before any of the sisters could speak the warden yelled out and left saying he'll be back in a moment.

"We have found your puzzle box and we've come to ask you about it," Evy says as she gives the man a small smile.

"No," was all said in return.

"No?" Lucy asked while taking a step closer.

"No. You come to ask me about Hamunaptra," he says blankly while Jonathan and Evy try to shush him.

"How do you know the box pertains to Hamunaptra?" Evy asks in almost a whisper.

"Because that's where I was when I found it I was there," he said while raising an eyebrow at them all. It was silent for a moment before Jonathan stepped forwards until his face was about 5 inches away from the bars.

"Look, how do we know that's not a lot of pig wallow," he says with slight confidence.

"Do I know you?" The man asks as he pointed a finger towards him.

"No, no, I've just got one of those faces-" Jonathan said before he got punched in the face by the man. Evy knelt down to help Jonathan while Lucy stepped over her brother and decided to speak.

"You were actually at Hamunaptra?" Lucy asked astonished.

"Yeah I was there," he says, giving her a smile.

"You swear?" She asked while giving him a stare.

"Every damn day," he says while he continues smiling.

"No that's not what she meant," Evy says from behind them.

"No, I know what she meant. Seti's place. City of the Dead," he says as he waved his hands.

"Could you tell me how to get there?" Lucy asks quietly while taking a step closer.

"You want to know?" He asked with wide eyes.

"Yes," she whispered while kneeling down in front of the cage.

"You really want to know?" He asked again while indicating for her to come closer with his finger.

"Yes," she says starting to get a bit more impatient. Then without any hesitation, he kissed her.

"Then get me the hell out of here!" He says as he pulled away. She walked back and stared at him in shock as the guards behind him pulled him back from the bars.

"Do it lady! Do it!" He demanded as he was being hit by the guards. The warden showed up behind her as the man was taken inside.

"Where are they taking him?" Evy asks as she looked just as shocked as Lucy did.

"To be hanged. Apparently, he had a very good time," he replied in amusement. The sisters walked with the warden to where the man is to be hanged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Carnahan sisters sat down next to each other and besides the warden as Lucy pulled out her gun unnoticed.

"I will give you 100 pounds to save this man's life," Evy offered to him.

"Madam, I would pay 100 pounds just to see him hang," he replied.

"Two, two hundred pounds," Evy continues.

"Proceed."

"Three hundred pounds." Evy continues to urge. The man must have asked a question to make the hangman yell at the warden.

"Of course we don't let him go!" The warden yelled back to the hangman.

"Five hundred pounds!" Evy yelled to his face, which made him turn to her.

"What else. I'm a very lonely man," he said while putting his hand on Evelyn's thigh. In return, Evy hit his hand with the book she was holding which made all the inmates laugh and Lucy giving him a death stare. The warden called out the order as both sisters rose from their chairs and shouted, "No!"

"His neck did not break. I'm so sorry, now we must watch him strangle to death," the warden said to the girls as Evy took her seat but Lucy remained standing.

"He knows the location to Hamunaptra," Evy told him.

"You lie," he spat back at her.

"She would never!" Lucy spat back.

"Are you telling me that this filthy, godless son of a pig, know where to find the City of the Dead?" The warden yelled excitedly.

"Yes," Evelyn replied.

"Truly?"

"Yes, and if you cut him down, we will give you... ten percent," Evy offered while Lucy gripped her gun tightly.

"Fifty percent," he protested.

"Twenty."

"Forty."

"Thirty."

"Twenty-five!" The warden said without thinking.

"Ah... deal!" Evy said with a smirk.

"Cut him down!" The warden ordered but before they could, Lucy beat them to it as the bullet broke the rope, making the man fall to the ground. The man looked up at her with an astonished look as she gave him a simple smirk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you liked this chapter!

Let me know if you want the chapters to be longer, shorter or kept the same!

Please Vote and Comment! xx