Chapter 05: Yex the Ithorian

"Why didn't Yex come with us?" Seth asked.

They were nearing the encampment again. A small clutch of rakghouls had made a go at ambushing them outside the filtration plant, but the things gave themselves away a mile off, telegraphing their approach without any real stealth.

They'd put them down with a few well-placed blaster shots.

"Yex and I are the only two serious fighters at the settlement," Nova explained. "One of us needs to be there at all times, in case anything tries to attack."

"Well that...certainly hinders your operational capacity," Seth muttered.

"You're telling me. Although now that you're here, we'll have a few more options. For now, though, I, uh...need you to go back to the filtration plant with Yex to watch his back."

Seth suppressed a sigh. He was seriously getting tired. "I hate to be a whiner, but I'm going to need a real break after this," he said.

"I know. I'm sorry I have to push you so hard after almost dying. You look like crap, honestly. Uh, no offense. But once you and Yex get back, you can have a long shower, a meal, and a good night's rest. And Seri will check you over again. And probably give you a shot of painkiller or something. You look like you need it."

"Is it that obvious?" he asked uncomfortably.

"No, actually. I'm just good at reading people. You're pretty tough."

"Well, some people get smart, some get lucky, some get looks. I got tough," he said. "Certainly didn't get anything else."

"You don't seem stupid or ugly," Nova replied. "I mean, you know, for the most part."

He laughed. "Gee, thanks."

"I'm good at giving out compliments," she replied.

They reached the gate and slipped through as soon as it was open. He followed her first back to the supply building, where they dropped off what they'd scavenged from the dead Dreks. He saw her open up a small gray hardcase and drop the credit chips they'd found in, then moved over and glanced inside. There were several more.

"That's a fair amount of credits," he murmured. "What use are they here?"

"Down here, not much," Nova replied, locking it back up. There had to be a few hundred credits in there. "But Yex can still go up top and barter for supplies. Usually for food and clean water, sometimes for medicine. It's mostly crap stuff in the Lower City, but it's definitely a step up from the junk we have to salvage down here."

"Wish I had some credits to donate to the cause," he murmured as they headed back out.

"You've already donated plenty," Nova replied.

They tracked down Yex, who was inside someone's shack, crouched over a tall, thin device, a battered silver toolkit on the floor beside him. An older couple sat deeper in the room together. "Hello, Nova," one of them, a woman with pale gray hair and a lined face, said, offering her a smile. "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine, Amentia. Thank you. How are you doing?" Nova replied.

"Can't complain," she said, but she sounded strained.

"This is Seth, the man from the space battle overhead," Nova said, awkwardly trying to fill the silence while Yex finished up whatever it was he was doing. "Seth, this is Amentia and Devern."

"Pleased to meet you," he said, while trying to come up with something else to say. Small talk had always been a failing of his, but under these conditions...what could you comment on? Not even that old mainstay the weather.