Chapter 06: A Long Day's End

Seth didn't think that he would be glad to see the miserable, ramshackle colony, but damned if he wasn't relieved and even a bit cheerful when the gate closed firmly behind him.

"You did well, Seth. Thank you for your assistance. I look forward to working with you again," Yex said as they moved deeper into the colony.

"Same, Yex. You're pretty great," Seth replied. He suddenly offered the ithorian his hand. Yex immediately clasped it and shook it.

"You are a good man, Seth. I can sense it. Now, I must find my shack and eat. Tomorrow awaits us," he said.

Seth nodded, his good mood only increasing. He wasn't sure if he was a good person or not, but he did feel confident that Yex was.

He watched him go, disappearing into the encampment. As he left, Nova took his place, coming to him with a bag, cinched at the top. "Here," she said, "another change of clothes. Um...what happened at the plant?" she asked.

"Yex fixed it. Some Dreks showed up. I killed them all. We should be good, for now. We're going to need a long-term solution," Seth explained.

Nova smirked suddenly. "I think I have one."

"What is it?"

"Later. You need to get a shower, some food, and some sleep. Go to the showers. Seri is waiting for you there," Nova replied.

"All right, um...thanks."

"No, thank you. You've helped out a lot today. I'll meet back up with you tomorrow."

"Don't wake me up unless people are dying," he replied.

"We're all dying," Nova said. "But don't worry, no one will wake you unless it's a genuine emergency."

He nodded, then headed off, making for the shower area. He felt good, but he was definitely in pain, his muscles aching, his burns hurting, his head throbbing. A shower would go a really long way towards feeling better, though. A hot meal too. Although a hot meal was probably too much to ask for right now. At this point though, he'd settle for pretty much any food. He came to the structure housing the showers and storage room, nodded to Essale. She nodded back, let him in.

"Seri's waiting for you," she said.

He thanked her and headed inside, this time going through the left door, which was already open. He found Seri waiting for him inside. She stood before a counter with a simple washbasin beside it and a row of four basic stalls with no doors on them, each one a very simple shower. She had a medical kit open on the counter and some supplies spread out.

"Seth," she said as he came in, "you've made it back. I was beginning to get a little worried. It is very dangerous out there."

"That it is," he murmured.

"Close the door," Seri said, continuing to organize her tools and supplies. Seth did so, but began to feel a little uncomfortable. He trusted Seri, but hospitals made him anxious for the same reason that they probably made most people anxious. Needles and sickness and death. And needles. He hated needles.

He'd forced himself to get over that fear, for the most part.

"Strip down," Seri said as he moved away from the door. He hesitated again. "Don't worry, nudity does not affect me. I won't be uncomfortable."

He tried not to sigh. It was great knowing that she wasn't going to be uncomfortable if he got naked, but he sure was. But, again, that was something you had to get over in the military as well. Lots of shared space, communal showers and barracks and all that. Seth started stripping down. Despite his discomfort, it did feel good to get these clothes and his armor off. Before long, he stood completely naked before Seri.