10. It takes a village

Mrs. Esther hummed, after taking a huge bite of her cheeseburger. "Oh my God, this tastes amazing. How have I not been here before?"

Callie couldn't resist a grin as she slowly gobbled up on hers. "Mimi's Diner makes the best burger in town."

"I actually live on the outskirts, so it's no wonder I haven't noticed here before." Mrs. Esther said, wiping the edges of her mouth.

As usual, the diner was sparingly full. Soft ambient music played at the background and she let herself enjoy it for a little while. Callie found it hard to imagine anyone not knowing Mimi's Diner. It was the one place she and Aunt Georgia loved to eat. She hadn't found any other place that looked like it. With its retro '80s vibe and homely disposition, it's no wonder it attracted middle aged people and fed the curiosity of teenagers.

Callie retorted. "That explains it, cause everyone knows Mimi's."

Mrs. Esther had a small smile lingering, and quickly sobered up. "I'm sorry if I took out some of your time. I'm guessing how busy you are, so I'll make it quick. Leona helps with the cleaning, but lately, she's been overwhelmed with juggling going to community college and helping with the Hammells. Even now, she broke her leg and it's not easy for her. That's where you come in. I have a good feeling about you and I want to employ you to be a housekeeper or maid, whichever name makes you comfortable."

Callie felt a large lump stuck in her throat and let out a throttling cough. That certainly wasn't what she was expecting to hear. Working for the Hammells? Larkin Hammell? The food in her stomach made a loop inside her.

Mrs Esther's eyes widened. "Are you okay, sweetie? Did I come off too forward?"

"No no, did Larkin ask you to do this?" Struggling to keep her voice steady, she chortled.

Mrs. Esther snorted. "He hardly knows what's going on in that house. I do the employment."

Disappointment laced her words without realizing it. "Oh, I see."

"Anything wrong, dearie?" Mrs. Esther's ears perked up curiously.

"Not really. I'm just surprised you asked. I'm already swamped with work at Alpha's and usual school activities. I also have to take care of my family. That's my major priority. I don't think I'd have time for cleaning."

Mrs. Esther gnawed on her lower lip, pouting slightly. "That's quite a shame. I just assumed you'd be eager to help after your father resigned."

Callie reeled back. Her eyes had widened to the size of two tennis balls, as her mouth hung. "He did what?"

The elderly woman's eyebrows crinkled. "Oh my, I thought you knew. The young master was informed by the company's attorney this morning." The bulge in her eyes made Mrs. Esther realize how deep in shock she was in. "I apologize if I caused any trouble."

A frown, albeit a small one, settled on her lips. "No, you didn't. I'm just surprised my dad didn't tell me. He always tells me everything. It was the one thing we shared with each other. The truth."

Mrs. Esther took her hand, totally taking Callie by surprise, but didn't pull away when the elderly woman did so. "I admire how much you try to form a close relationship with your father. Not many teenagers would do that."

Well, not many teenagers had fathers that were struggling with personality disorders. But she wasn't going to say that. Callie wasn't ready to divulge her family's dilemma to anyone, not even someone as sweet as Mrs. Esther. Instead, she said the most logical thing. "Well, family's important to me."