16. The art of listening

Ignoring the loud grumbles Maxime gave while he took Larkin to the barn, Larkin closed his eyes briefly as the whistling wind whirled around fallen blooming leaves from the rose bushes, making it dance in the air and dangling over broken twigs, when he blinked open his eyes. He didn't realize how mentally exhausting it was to just stay indoors, until he took a step out. The throbbing pain in his leg continued to make him wince, every step he made. The usual caffeine he took daily didn't help him any less. It just made him crankier everyday, and he worried if any of his employees would have noticed.

Maxime handed him the garden shears, sending him a weary glance. "Are you sure you can handle it, boss?"

Larkin stared at the shears gripped tightly in his left hand. While trying to hold the other handle with his right hand, he struggled to clip his walking cane in between his armpit. He fought the frustration blazing inside him, and grunted to Maxime. "Fine. I need your help."

"That wasn't so hard, now was it?" Maxime's smug smile made Larkin's face harden. "No need for that scary face. I'll get to work. Just go on that stroll you love getting to. I'll be done with it in minutes."

"Thank you." Rumbled out of his mouth, which Maxime responded with a tip of his imaginary hat.

Larkin dragged himself slowly, crutching his way to the open garden. His eyes caught Callista walking somewhat dazed, past him without giving a glance. She gripped her arms around her waist and looked like she was taking in deep breaths. Her brown hair wheezed in the wind, like a ship at sea fighting its way through a storm. Her pink tank top lapped against her cafe au laît skin and pressed her ample breasts.

He flickered his eyes back to her face, hating how her sight affected his groin too. He said evenly, trying to pull himself back together. "Is everything okay with you?"

She turned to look his way, and her entrancing eyes widened. "Larkin!"

Larkin took a moment to look at her. He didn't think he had noticed the freckles splattered lightly on her nose. Somehow, it heightened how wide her eyes had gotten. "Are you crying?"

Callista protested. "I'm not." As she dabbed the corners of her eyes with her fingers. "I never cry."

"You know it's okay to cry, right?" He said quietly.

Callista repeated firmly. "I'm not crying."

Knowing her, he knew it was a waste of time arguing with her. The blazing look in her eyes reminded him how strong willed she was. "So what are you doing out here, since you're not crying?"

He expected her to give a lie or get defensive, instead all he got was a giggle. He whirled to gape at her. Callista Blanco was giggling, right in front of him. Damn, he didn't see THAT coming. Her giggle teetered into a snort. "Has anyone told you that you talk like a sixty year old man?"

"A sixty year old man?" He wasn't completely surprised. He'd been called worse.

She shrugged. "It's just something I noticed. The words you say. You don't sound like a teenager."

Larkin cast her a small glance, not finding the words to say back to her. She was smiling again. Not looking upset like she did before. A part of him was curious to ask her what was wrong. Though the logical side of him knew she'd snap at him again, so he decided to let it go. "I'm guessing you're here for the beautiful view."

Her lie oozed out immediately, it almost made him grin. "Yes, it's just so refreshing. The beautiful trees. The scent of autumn. It's just everything."

The mesmerized look in her eyes made him trail his gaze to the view that caught her attention. Larkin stared at the horizon and watched the sun glisten over the trees that swayed gently to the autumn wind. The scent of the evenly cut grass instantly filled his nose. Clearly, Maxime was doing his job well, despite how often he complained. The vast area of land was mostly covered in flowerbeds and gardens. The sun shone brightly and lapped against their skins harshly, but it didn't look like she minded.

He could see why it made her at ease again. It was always the best part of his day and probably only moment he felt the urge to get out. "I remember when I used to just sit out here, after getting flat out drunk. It just had a way of making me feel sober."

"You drink?" She snorted, in disbelief.

"Not anymore." His words were clipped. Seeing the sympathy lacing her drawn face, Larkin decided that he didn't want her to see him feeling mopey. "I'm going to go walk my dog."

A wide grin washed over her lips. "Chip, right? Mrs. Esther showed her to me. She's so adorable. I actually love dogs. I just couldn't have one because my little sister's allergic to them."

Avalyn Blanco. Larkin noted. He remembered seeing her name on her father's file. While he didn't know anything beyond her name and age, it was nice to know a little tidbit about them, without having to snoop into their personal lives. "My dad got me Chip when I was sixteen. I was pissed off back then, because I wanted a red Ferrari I had been eyeing for a while. My closest friends had theirs, and I really just wanted to fit in too. But right now, I'll take Chip over a stupid car any day. She's one of the few things that reminds me of my dad. His beautiful gift."

Larkin pressed his lips tightly. He didn't even know why he told her. He'd avoided his painful memories like a plague but somehow, he felt the urge to tell her. To share his loss. And it looked like she understood a piece of what he felt.

Callista's eyes drooped. He could sense her hesitance to speak, but a glint flashed in her eyes and her words came spilling out. "I lost my mom almost two years ago. It sucks because I thought by now I'd have stopped thinking about it. The pain. Every time I remember it, I feel a loneliness inside. It's like having a huge hole in my chest that doesn't close up, no matter how hard I try."

Larkin already knew of her mother's death, but he didn't feel the need to tell her that. He knew how it felt too, but his pain was much different from hers. Much darker. Something he didn't think she could stomach. "I'm sorry you had to go through that."

Callista nodded absently, but he could see the tears stinging her eyes again. "When did you lose yours?"

Larkin went still. He wasn't expecting her to ask that. It was clear she noticed how uneasy he got, and sputtered. "I'm sorry I asked. It must have been—"

"Thirteen months ago. I lost them both." The twinge of guilt in his eyes were unmistaken.

Callista blinked. "I'm so sorry. It must have been horrible losing both of them. How did—" The words hung in her mouth, as if she was afraid to ask the dreadful question. An answer he too, was unsure he was willing to share. She tried to ask again, despite the icy look he had worn. "How.... How..." And yet again, her words trailed off. Her shoulders sagged down, when she realized how pushy she seemed.

"How did they die?" Callista nodded with a hint of relief rolling all over her, when he asked what she wanted to know. His jaw clenched tightly and everything he'd been too afraid to say out loud played through his head. The memories tortured him and broke whatever that was left of his soul. "I killed them."

★★★
Hey STYBites (that's what I'm gonna call the fans of this book. I know it sucks. Sorry😭😭)
What's your take on what happened to Larkin's parents? A lot of people have been dropping their opinions about it and I'd be thrilled to hear about what more people think of this.
Xoxo
Jasmine