55. Scarred Souls

Callie was used to Leona's intensity. It was part of her whole personality that made her intimidating. But even now, it seemed like it had gone up a notch and it was unsettling to see her like this. Something was definitely wrong. "Thanks. I'll have it returned tomorrow. So what's so important that you look like you're going to tell me that someone died?"

Her serious-set face softened in one of its rare moments that made Leona seem human-like. Leona inhaled deeply, looking almost impatient to admit what had made her act so extreme. "I don't know how to say this but I think Larkin's leaving Jubilee Grove for good."

Callie lost her breath, a range of emotions sent a gust of chill ripping over her. Callie instinctively took a step back, uncertainty tainted her face.

Was this why he wanted to see her? To say his goodbye? Callie couldn't help grimacing, her heart thumping painfully faster than usual. The thought of what he wanted to say made her confused and a little scared, as Callie tried to suppress her doubts. Whatever it was, this was something she wanted to be sure about. "Are you sure?"

"I overheard him telling his lawyer. Apparently that's the only person he trusts right now." Leona seemed more annoyed than she'd always been. Clearly, she had finally warmed up to Larkin, seeing the side of him that made Callie fall deeply for him.

"Oh."

"What are we gonna do?"

Ignoring her panicked question, Callie inquired. "Do you know why he's leaving?"

Leona shot her a scowl. "You know Larkin's not the type to express his reasons."

"That's true."

"What are we gonna do?" Leona asked again, this time with less panic and more firmness settling on her face. Her lips twisted into a deep crease.

Callie sighed. Eyes narrowed, Leona watched her carefully, waiting for what she'd say. Callie wished she had all the answers to her questions but Leona didn't know everything about Larkin. His greatest fears. His troubles. His regrets. His pains. Callie knew all that and it was something much deeper than words could explain. "I don't think there's anything we can do."

★★★

The next afternooon, Callie got to Mimi's diner with her nerves kicking up. She glanced through the see-through glass and felt relief to see Larkin already there, signaling for her to come in. He was unsurprisingly punctual, seemingly carrying of composure within his reach.

Larkin sucked in a sharp breath. The moment their eyes locked, every single thing he prepared to say had started to fly out of his head. His heart pounding uncontrollably when she saw him, keeping him on edge. Seeing her in sexy white shorts underneath a flaming red tank top didn't help his anxiety either. The longer she stayed in his presence, the more reckless he felt. Heat rose in his veins, bringing unwarranted feelings he'd managed to keep in place for days.

Waving at Nyma who was working behind the counter, Callie approached the table where Larkin was now standing in front of. He nervously dug his fingers through his flaxen hair, an action that was enough to cause an intoxicating stir within her. Short locks hung over his eyes for a moment, shielding its rich hues from her sight.

"Hi." Callie said, trying to keep her voice neutral. Definitely not an easy task. Not with how surprisingly good he looked in denim pants and a rare, camou tee-shirt.

Returning her greeting, he sat down with his brow furrowing in thought for a fraction of a second, until he said. "You missed the farewell party at the manor. Maxime and Leona wanted to see you."

"Yeah. Leona told me. Sorry." Settling into one of the seats, Callie finally found the heart to respond. There was a hopeful gleam lighting up his eyes when Callie added. "I didn't know if you wanted to see me."