Part 5: Confidence

People always said you were a good listener, able to sit without interrupting and could empathize with situations outside of your own experiences. It helped you rationalize that even people who appeared perfect were still flawed, secrets or pain sometimes becoming too much to keep to themselves.

Kirishima was no different.

You sat on the bench and listened intently as he recounted what was troubling him. It was humbling that he chose to talk to you about these things rather than someone else, someone he was closer to. He seemed like an honestly nice person so far, nothing disingenuous about his personality or want for an ear to lean on. You nodded your head as you listened to his story, choosing not to talk or comment until he asked for your opinion.

"...so that's about it. Sorry if I rambled, sometimes I just keep talking when I should have stopped a long time ago," Kirishima said, scratching his cheek as he looked at you with apologetic eyes but you shook your head.

"No, it's fine. We just talk about things that are most important to us. And um, I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Sometimes you just have to take time away and focus on yourself and there's nothing wrong with that."

Kirishima placed his hands on either side of his hips for stability as he leaned back on the bench, a soft smile on his face.

"You're not wrong! Thanks for listening. So I spilled my guts oh here, so tell me about yourself, then!" He leaned a bit more into your space and hoped he didn't see your ears burning.

"M-me? Oh you don't...I'm pretty boring-"

"I'm sure that's not true!" He honestly looked offended that you would call yourself 'boring.' "What kind of movies do you like?"

The question made you spin through several different scenarios very quickly: was he flirting? Did he realize he was coming off as flirty or was it just being polite? Was he like this with everyone? You might as well roll with it since he asked a direct question, nowhere to run this time.

"Uhm..well.." You spouted off some titled you'd seen recently, some of which he enjoyed as well. So the conversation turned more even as you both talked and both listened. He was becoming easier to talk to, but your nerves still bubbled in the pit of your stomach at this unfamiliar attention. Suddenly his name was called on the other side of the gym. You both looked over to see three of his friends, you assumed, calling out to him as they headed towards the doors.

"Shit, what time is it...ah I gotta go," he said checking the time on his phone as he stood up. "We'll finish up the conversation next time! Have a good night!" You nodded and waved as Kirishima grabbed his gym bag and jogged over to his buddies, heading out the door with one last look back in your direction.

The gym was now cold and empty as you sighed to yourself.

"He's just being nice...he'd never like me..."