Part 6: Hard Work is Manly!

He walked into the gym like he did almost everyday, gym bag slung over his shoulder as he headed towards the locker rooms, waving at the desk staff that he knew by name at this point.

"Hey man, what's up?" asked a man with bright yellow hair, a black streak running through the bangs falling away from his face.

Kirishima set down his gym bag on a bench as he started to change clothes. "Hey, Kaminari! Not much, same old same old." His muscles rippled as he removed his shirt, tossing it aside before pulling some of his hair back into a small ponytail.

"Who was that chick you were talking to yesterday? And the day before that? And-"

"Don't even start, bro," Kirishima said in response, ruby eyes cutting hard to the side at his friend.

Kaminari tossed his gym bag into a locker before grabbing his water bottle, hands out a little toodefensively. "Hey man it's just an observation! I personally think you could do better, honestly." Kirishima stopped tying his tennis shoe.

"...what is that supposed to mean?"

"You're not a bad looking dude is all I'm saying, you could get anyone you want-" Kirishima slammed his locker shut a little too forcefully, cutting the blonde short.

"Don't be an asshole. She's nice, OK? And she's here more often than you are so don't even start." With that, Kirishima walked out of the locker room leaving Kaminari behind.

Feeling agitated with the conversation he just had, Kirishima opted to let out some frustrations at one of the punching bags. A few people backed away as he started pounding into the bag, punches and grunts echoing in the open gym floor.

"Nothing wrong with-" punch. "someone trying to-" punch punch. "improve themselves." punch kick. Intense focus. Tunnel vision.

"Uh-"

"Hard work-" punch punch. "is super manly!" PUNCH.

"Are you-"

"Huh?" A voice brought him out of his daze, his hands just barely catching the swinging punching bag before it hit him right in the nose. Turning his head to the direction of the voice, he paused.

It was her.

"Um, are you OK? You seem really angry at that uh, bag." Her eyes darted from his face to the punch bag then back again. He immediately felt embarrassed, hoping she didn't hear him getting angry towards an inanimate object.

"Oh hey! Yeah yeah I'm fine, just uh, letting off some steam," he said, turning to properly face her now. He hadn't known her long, but he could already tell she was less timid than when they first met; her posture wasn't as slouched, she didn't stutter as much, and her eyes held a new kind of sparkle that wasn't there previously. She was gaining confidence, and he was happy for her. "How are you?"

"Not bad, just wanted to say 'hi' before getting started so..." she gave a small wave, not giving him time to answer before darting back towards the other side of the gym.

He waved at her retreating back, not realizing he was smiling to himself.