VIII

"Bilbo Baggins," Gandalf said, "In my whole life I have never been so happy to see someone."

"Well, that must be a very long time," Erlanda muttered silently enough for only Kili and Fili to hear, who chuckled quietly but stopped as the Wizard sent them a look.

"Bilbo," Kili said, "We'd given you up." 

"How on earth did you get past the goblins?" his brother asked.

"How, indeed," Thorin asked.

Bilbo just chucked and Gandalf said, "What does it matter. He's back. I told you, Mr Baggins has more about him than you guess."

They continued their walk since it was getting darker and the goblins could smell their footsteps hours later. It was soon after that they could hear a loud howl. "What's that?" Erlanda asked.

"Wargs!" Fili yelled. "Orc pets," Kili added as they began running.

The Company ran between the trees, jumping over rocks and fallen trees as they tried to escape the Wargs. Their howls got louder and louder and Erlanda risked a look over her shoulder to see giant creatures with grey pelt and glowing green eyes running after them.

"Go!" Thorin yelled and Erlanda turned around again.

The Wargs were catching up again and as one jumped in front of her, she quickly pulled her sword. She slashed at it and managed to wound one of his legs enough for her to run past it only to be stopped by a sudden slope. 

"Up the trees quick!" Gandalf yelled. They quickly ran to the trees at the edge of the glade and climbed up as fast as they could. Fili, Kili, and Erlanda were atop a giant larch. Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, and Gloin had climbed onto a pine while Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, and Thorin were in another. The brothers Dwalin and Balin had climbed onto a fir that only had a small number of branches and Gandalf had found a giant pine at the very edge of the glade.

Bilbo, however, had not managed to climb on a tree and was running around, trying to find a place to hide.

"You left the burglar behind again!" Nori accused one of his brothers. "I can't be carrying burglars around on by all day now can I?"

"He'll be eaten if we don't do something," Thorin said. "Dori!" he called, "Be quick and give Mr Baggins a hand up!"

Dori leaned down and Bilbo tried to take his hand but he was too small to reach it so Dori climbed down, helped Bilbo up and then climbed up himself again, just in time to escape a Wark that had lunged for him.

The Wargs had now surrounded them and on some of them were Orcs. One Orc, in particular, caught Erlanda's attention as it was white and a lot bigger than the others. "That's Azog," Fili told her. "I thought he was dead." Kili turned to his brother. "Do you know any other tall pale Orcs with a missing hand?" the blond argued. "Be quiet," Erlanda told the two.

The pale Orc said something that Erlanda couldn't understand but by the look on Thorin's face, he could. "It cannot be." the dwarf king said. The pale Orc pointed at Thorin with his weapon, said something and then swung it above his head while yelling something else.

The Wargs started running towards them and jumping up the trees making the Dwarves (and Erlanda, Bilbo, and Gandalf) climb up the trees even further. The tree Erlanda was on shook as two Wargs began jumping on it and she and the two brothers clung to the branches, trying not to fall off.

As the Wargs managed to make it fall over, Kili, Fili, and Erlanda quickly climbed onto the next one where Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, and Gloin were sitting on and as that fell they climbed onto the one after that. Soon, the entire Company sat on the branches of a big pine tree at the very edge. It was the one Gandalf had climbed onto. The pale Orc laughed and Erlanda looked at the other side of the tree where it went down deep enough to make it a deadly fall. Out of the frying pan, into the fire, she thought to herself. 

Suddenly the ground beneath them was on fire, keeping the Wargs away from their tree. She looked up to see Gandalf lighting two pine cones on fire. "Fili!" he called out and let a burning pine cone fall into the hands of the dwarf who threw it from one hand to the other. Gandalf threw one to Dori who used it to lighten a pine cone that Bilbo had gathered on fire. Erlanda grabbed her own from a branch above her and Fili, who was next to her, helped her enlighten it.

Soon, they all started throwing burning pine cones at the orcs and their wargs, lightening the ground beneath them (and a few wargs) on fire. As Azog let out an angry howl the dwarves started cheering and laughing but the laughter soon stopped as the tree began to fall. It luckily stopped but now the tree was hanging dangerously above the scarp.

Ori suddenly slipped and fell right past Erlanda, who wasn't quick enough to catch him but he luckily managed to hold on to Dori's foot. Dori was now desperately clinging onto a branch, trying not to fall of himself while his brother still tangled at his foot. "Mr Gandalf!" the dwarf called out for the Wizard just before he slipped off of the branch. Gandalf quickly reached down his staff and Dori managed to hold on to it. The Wizard tried to pull the two dwarves up but was distracted as he saw Thorin walk towards Azog.

The Dwarf King walked through the burning branches of the tree, a sword in one hand and a thick branch, that he was using as a shield, in the other.

The pale orc seemed almost happy at the sight of Thorin running towards him and readied himself on his warg, ready to jump.

1014 Words

I'm sorry that this is late. It was supposed to be uploaded yesterday evening but I returned home late and forgot all about it.

 It was supposed to be uploaded yesterday evening but I returned home late and forgot all about it