On the Run

It's been seven months since Jake and I have escaped, and we have been moving around a lot. We have have both turned 14 now, and we are running. We've almost gotten caught by police multiple times. It seems like the whole world is against us. We are currently staying in an old abandoned house in a small town. "This place is a dump." "You shouldn't be complaining, this isn't the worst we've stayed in," Jake and I argue. "Fine. I'm going to need to run to the store to get food." "Don't get caught," Jake warns me. We alternate between going out and getting nessecities, and it was my turn. "I won't, I know how this goes." "I just worry." "Don't worry about me. I'm completely fine on my own," I say, as I walk out the door. I sneak out of the house so that no one gets suspicious, then I start to walk quickly to the nearest convenience store. As I'm walking there, I pickpocket a man who is about to cross the street. I don't think he noticed, which is a relief. I go and buy chips, water bottles, and donuts, and pay for them with the 20 dollar bill I stole. As I walk out, I tear down a wanted poster for Jake and me, then I rush back to the house. When I get there, I see police inside the house we were staying in. I turn around and I'm about to try to knock one of the police out, but then someone grabs my arm and pulls me down into the basement, which is pretty well hidden. "A-" someone covers my mouth as I'm about to scream. "Shut up!" Jake whispers loudly. I punch him in the face. "You scared the shit out of me!" I whisper. "You would have gotten yourself aressted!" "Well sorry I was trying to defend myself! Who knows if they'll find us if we hide! We needed to stay and fight!" I growl back. He just sighs. "We need to get out somehow." "I'm going back up to fight!" he sighs. "Fine." I grab a bat, climb up the ladder, and knock out the nearest cop. "Hey guys, can I join the party?" I start swinging my bat at them, until I feel something hit my back. The last. Damn. Police. I fall on the floor, unable to move. I got tazed. All I can do is lay there as the cop handcuffs me. All of a sudden, the police's eyes roll back into his head and he falls down, dead, with Jake standing behind him with a hammer. Then I pass out.

When I wake up, we are in some alley in a city. I sigh. "You passed out." "You think I don't know that?" "......." I just groan. "Stupid, stupid, stupid cops!" Jake hands me the bag from the store. "Hungry?" I don't look at him and just grab a bag of chips and eat them. We sit in silence for a while. "How long was I out?" "Three days." "Dang it." I sigh and just continue eating. I look at Jake, and he is holding a piece of paper. "What's that?" "This? Oh.... it from... my-my mom." "Your mom?" He hands the the paper, and I read it.

Dear Jake,

I'm sorry I left you there, but I had no choice. I will be back for you someday. I love you dearly, and I hope I see you again.

From,

your mother

I hand him nack the piece of paper. "I want to... find her." "........." "I want to see my mother again."