Chapter Twenty: Adding Fuel to the Fire

Joshua ushered Adam inside, who looked completely exhausted and messed up. Adam dragged himself inside until he tumbled onto the floor. Joshua quickly closed the door behind him and latched it. He then rushed over to Adam and grabbed ahold of his body. He slowly pulled him up.

"C'mon."

Adam was very weak, but he managed to use the strength that he had to support Joshua. He brought him over to the couch in the living room and placed him there. Adam was breathing heavily, as he rested his head on the back of the couch. Joshua then rushed into the kitchen and searched through the grocery bags for a bottle of water that he had bought earlier. When he found one, he went back over to Adam and pulled the bottle before giving it to him.

"Drink this."

Adam slowly straightened himself in the couch before taking the bottle from Joshua.
He quickly drank the water from the bottle to the point where the bottle was now crumbled.

"Oh my God--you smell really bad." Joshua stated as he was finally able to focus on his odor.

"Thanks." Adam muttered, as he handed the empty bottle to Joshua.

He took the bottle from him and went into the kitchen to dispose it. When he made his way back into the living room, he realised that Adam was completely knocked out; fast asleep. He sat down on the wooden edge of the table which was in front of Adam, and stared at him; still in disbelief that his best friend, who was supposedly dead, was sitting right in front of him.

                                         🔪

Brian, Chloe, Collin, and Taylor were all in Biology class, watching as each group presented on their charts. Chloe and Taylor were up next and Brian and Collin were two groups after.

"I'm really nervous." Brian said with a chuckle.

Collin assured him with a smile. "You'll do great."

"Yeah I hope so. I really don't want to be a disappointment."

"Are you kidding me--you could never be a disappointment."

Brian faced slightly turned red. "You have so much faith in me---"

Collin nervously chuckled. He then turned his face to the front of the class. "Hey Brian--"

"Yeah?"

"Would you wanna--" He gathered the words that he wanted to say before speaking again. "Would you wanna hang out with me after school? Grab something to eat maybe?"

"Is this--like a date?"

Collin looked at him. "Yeah--" He then smiled once more. "Yeah it is. Call it a---celebratory date after our wicked presentation."

Brian faintly laughed, which made Collin laugh as well.

"Yeah. I'd like that." Brian finally replied.

"Awesome." Collin smiled; feeling like he had just accomplished something great.

The students in the class applauded as one of the presentations ended, and Collin and Brian joined in.

"Are you ready?" Taylor asked Chloe.

Chloe nodded. "Yeah. Let's do this."

                                         🔪

Miley was in her final class for the day when she felt her phone vibrated in her pocket, which interrupted her concentration. She looked ahead at the teacher, who was busy with whatever he was doing. He gave an activity to write a review on a book that they read earlier, so everyone was busy.