Chapter Four

She'd only really been walking for ten minutes before she saw the beautiful, old coffee shop in the distance. Just seeing the faded brown paint off the outside of it brought back memories of her and her small clique of friends leaning on what were deep brown walls outside, gossiping about lads and the latest new person into the town. Leanne had always been the gossiper, filling in the rest of us on the goings-on. It's like she'd invested herself in knowing what went on in her small town.

Flattening out the smile on her face, she reminded herself of the sombre reason for her homecoming; It wasn't time to remember her old high school friends. But she did allow her the excitement of having her hot choccy after so long.

Pulling the glass door that she'd so often accidentally pushed, she was immediately greeted with the smell of fresh ground coffee. She'd hated that smell when she was younger, but now it simply reminded her of better times. She'd come in here with friends, family, lovers...it was all a memory.

Spotting a small table for one in the corner of the shop, she walked over and lowered her bag and coat onto the chair, as a way to mark the table as her own, and then went to stand in line to order. There weren't many people actually inside the shop, but it was bustling with life. Some tables were filled with teens, a few years younger than herself, shouting at each other in big groups, each with their own milkshake and a massive grin on their faces. Others had couples, sharing a moment of love and safety over a late morning cup of tea. The last few were filled with people older than herself, all chatting enthusiastically, probably about their days, the weather, or maybe the ridiculous in nature things that their bosses had them doing.

The constant illegible chatter comforted Daisy, It was far better than the silence at her grandmother's. Absentmindedly, she continued to step forward whenever the person before her had moved. One step, then another, and another.

It really was strange to be back, and even stranger to feel comfortable here.

"Alright, what can I get you there petal?"  A low voice interrupted her thoughts and caused her to look away from whatever space she'd been looking into and at the man who was attempting to hurry her order along.

"May I have a Creamy hot chocolate please?" Her voice was polite, trying to figure out if she could recognize who he was.

Daisy couldn't say that this man was ugly, far from, but he didn't seem to stand out in her memories. He seemed about her age. Orange tinted, short messy hair poked out from under a light yellow cap; paired with blue eyes and a few freckles. He had scars on his forehead from what she imagines was prepubescent acne and chapped lips. No, he wasn't ugly.

"Well I'm sorry to disappoint but we haven't served those since the new investor, surely you should know that." He shrugged his yellow polo clad shoulders and pulled his lips into his mouth.

"Oh" Was Daisy's all so intelligent and disappointing response. She didn't really fancy anything else here And was about to say so when he stopped her.

"I can make you one this time, but you need to remember for next time. It's a shame we stopped making them but what can you do?" Daisy smiled at his offer and nodded. It was a shame, and he was lovely for making it for her. Maybe he saw that she really needed one.

He gathered the ingredients necessary for her drink and started his magic, turning to look at her every now and then and smiling.

"So, what brings you into town?" She wasn't expecting that question, although it was harmless enough. She'd thought she looked like a resident, even if she'd not known about her drink. He must have seen her confusion and decided to save her thoughts.

"It's not every day that you see a pretty girl like you, besides, we haven't served that drink in just under two years...like at all"' That answers that then. Was he flirting with her or was he trying to find a nice way to tell her that she didn't fit in? She decided it was the latter and smiled politely. She knew what she looked like; a runny nose, eye bagged and too pale.

"Ah, right" was her absolutely riveting response.

Carrying over her hot drink, he picked up a napkin along with it and handed them both over to her. "You really don't look that out of place, I just know the regulars here is all."

Nodding and smiling at him, she opened her purse that she'd pulled from her bag and handed him a £5. Taking it from her, the man allowed his hands to touch Daisy's fleetingly, then turned into the cash register to grab her change.

Seeing her chance to ask about the rake, she took it and spoke to him as he worked out her change. "What happened to the solicitors in downtown?" Her voice seemed to surprise him, making him drop his hands onto the counter- halting his counting.

"Oh, that old place? That's been shut down for years, I think the owner passed away of old age or something,  and all the people working there lost their jobs. We don't have solicitors here anymore, which isn't the best I s'pose, but I don't think anyone has ever really needed one"

That couldn't be right. Mr Rawlbank had been in her grandmother's home before her yesterday, with all of her details and her will. This literally could not be right.

"Are you sure? I was supposed to see someone called Mr Rawlbank today?" Daisy's voice shook, which was fair enough after hearing that the solicitor that she'd spoken to wasn't even from here.

"Mr Rawlbank?"  The man seemed to be thinking, trying to identify a name to a face. "I don't know him, maybe he's from out of town or something, I'm sure you'll find him at some point. One of us Milbury'uns will know who he is. Just ask around." He handed Daisy her change and smiled, before facing a new customer next to her; She guessed their conversation was over.

Walking slowly back to her table with her drink in hand, she didn't have any idea what to think. Surely her Gran wouldn't have chosen someone from out of town to sort her will, she hadn't left town enough to meet someone she trusted that much.

What was going on?

-----------------------------------

Okay, okay, I know I was late with the upload but I got two more out there!

And I know that nobody was complaining about it because I only have like 3 readers, but consistency is key...right?

right?