1. In The Wake of Dreams

Finding pristine shells of that size was no mean feat, even for a skilled diver like Liryl. She had spent hours searching for the best specimen among the ravines of the coral reef, but a day of celebration like that was well worth the effort. Despite her hunger pangs starting to kick in, she sat on the beach breathing her melodies into the shell, trying over and over until she was content with the sound. Midday flew by without her noticing anything.

"Ah, there you are!" The voice of her friend Sanya managed what her hunger pangs could not.

"Were you looking for me?" asked Liryl, turning her eyes from her musical instrument.

"What do you think? You've been gone since morning!"

Sanya's attention was drawn by the shell in the hand of the other girl.

"Wow, it's beautiful! Can I give it a try?"

"Fine, but be careful," replied Liryl, scowling a little. "If you break it, you're gonna find me one next time!"

Sanya giggled in return. "Don't you have a dozen of these at home?" Then she lifted the shell to her lips and started breathing inside. At first she sketched a few notes, to test the quality of the instrument. Then she began singing a soft and touching melody. Even if Liryl was a bit envious for the musical ability of her friend – with all the hours it takes me to find the best shell! – she still found herself enraptured every single time.

When Sanya finished her piece, Liryl sighed. "Why can't I play like you?"

Her question made the other girl smile. "Don't despair, I brought you your lunch!" she said, leaving a hemp bag in front of her friend.

Hearing the word 'lunch', her stomach awakened with an annoyed growl. Liryl blushed for the embarrassment. "I guess I actually need it. What do you have there?"

Sanya rummaged through the bag. "Papaya?" she proposed, drawing two of them. Liryl nodded, catching it when her friend passed her one. If there was a feeling which managed to distract her from the sea, the shells and everything else, it was the one of the sugary pulp of a papaya. Luckily, Sanya took care of the rest as well. A flask of berry juice, a jaraqui – her favorite fish – and a coconut which they split. By the end of the meal, she felt renewed.

Seeing Sanya lying languidly on the sand, Liryl looked slightly perplexed. "Have you come here to find me, or to rest on the beach?"

"Well, I had to find you first. Now I can rest," replied Sanya, winking. "Why don't you lie down, too?"

"Because if I do, I'll fall asleep for real," explained Liryl, with a hint of embarrassment in her voice. "I almost haven't slept a wink even tonight ..."

"And what's the big deal, if you sleep a little? I'll be here with you!"

In the end, Liryl gave in to her friend's suggestion and lay down on the soft carpet of sand, caressed by the warm wind of the afternoon. However, even though her body was begging her to surrender to the sweet embrace of slumber, something inside her kept resisting that temptation.

Her inner turmoil did not escape Sanya's attention. Likely because her friend had a pretty good idea of what its cause could be.

"You've dreamt it again, haven't you?"

Liryl nodded, glad deep down that the other girl gave her a good reason to stay awake.

"I think it's been a few weeks, already. It's not like this every night, thankfully, but ..."

Sanya interrupted her. "Did you talk with the head priestess?"

"To tell her what?" retorted Liryl. "I barely remember myself what I saw ... and besides, the day of my initiation as a priestess of water has almost come. I don't want to see it postponed for such a thing ..."