Epilogue

It took the young priestess quite some time to gather all the supplies she needed. Partly because she had some trouble finding her way through the narrow streets of Fys Kharia. Built more like a military outpost than a normal village, it was made of several tall and sturdy buildings, divided by a maze of tortuous alleys. It reminded her of Fys Espyr more than any other settlement, but without the grace and the beauty of the capital.

The last thing she was missing were herbs. She was told that she could find them at a small house, near the border. Liryl headed there somewhat melancholically, because she knew this would be her last act before leaving Espyria forever. Besides, her mood was certainly not helped by the cold and distant attitude displayed by the other nymphs whenever they noticed the rune on her forehead. It was like she had already crossed the border of her homeland.

Liryl reached out to pick one of the herbs, placed on a shelf taller than her head. But in the effort she lost her grip on the bag with the other supplies, which fell down and poured out its content. Cursing to herself, the girl started frantically collecting everything she had scattered on the ground when, to her surprise, another person kneeled down to help her. Intrigued, the girl looked up, and met two golden eyes, as surprised as her own.

"My lady, I did not expect to meet you again," Valhias said, hesitantly. "Not so soon, at least."

"... Me neither," Liryl replied, staring at the ambassador with an astonished face. After a few seconds of embarrassing silent, the girl resumed collecting her things. The ath'ar too stood still for a few moments, before hurrying to help the girl. As soon as her bag was finally full again – including the herbs she had been looking for – Liryl turned towards the ambassador once more.

"Thanks for helping me, before. But, if I can ask," she wondered, intrigued, "what're you doing here? I thought you returned to your land."

"I am headed there, indeed," he confirmed. "I came here yesterday, and I took the opportunity to trade some supplies with the villagers. Even though it has not been easy."

Liryl smiled bitterly. "I know a bit about that myself."

"Rather, for what reason are you here, my lady?" Valhias asked, as well. "I thought you were on a journey."

The girl looked down. "... I am, actually."

The ath'ar looked around. "I have not seen your friend, though. Are you travelling on your own?"

Liryl winced, as Valhias's words reached deep inside her, there where something lay which she had forcibly buried. Something which those words had now shattered in pieces.

Without uttering a single word, the girl ran away from the house, down a windy and foreign alley.

     ***

Liryl ended her flight in a small empty square. A modest fountain was in the middle of it, adorned by the statue of a fish gushing water from its mouth. The girl sat on the edge of the fountain and hid her face in her hands.

Only a few hours had passed since she left Eris, and the loneliness was already starting to feel unbearable. Will every day be like this, from now on? Will I wander from a country to another, stranger among strangers, until I grow tired of living? Liryl's sob echoed in the empty square. I'm already tired of this life.

A hand unexpectedly laid on her shoulder, startling her. Valhias, too, gasped briefly, scared by the girl's reaction.

"I beg your pardon, my lady, I did not intend to trouble you again," he apologized in an embarrassed tone. "But I believe you have forgotten this, when you fled."