The Shadow Among Stones

Silence. Phoenix's father was assessing me with guarded eyes, he hasn't said a thing since Phoenix told him I was his mate. Fear was trickling in, what if he decided he wanted no part in helping us? Phoenix decided to break the silence, "Astrid, meet my father Alpha Henry Stone."

Clearing my throat, I cautiously approached Alpha Stone, "Nice to meet you, Alpha Stone." I stuck my hand out for him shake.

He eyed it warily, before closing his eyes and releasing a sigh then accepting my handshake, "Nice to meet you, Lady Shadows." I flushed at the use of my title, "I had really hoped to have never encounter conflict with Shadow Light, but it seems fate had other ideas." Alpha Stone released my hand and shook his head. His eyes softened as he took me in, "Please call me Henry, you are my son's mate."

I nodded, "Please call me Astrid in that case." My lips stretched into a hesitant smile.

Phoenix cleared his throat and stepped closer to his father desk, "Dad, as you can tell we have a dilemma with Astrid being my mate." There was an apprehensive look on his face. This was going to be difficult for Phoenix's father, on one hand he would want his son to be happy with his mate. On the other hand, as an Alpha he wouldn't want conflict with a pack like Shadow Light.

Henry sighed, nodding his head he gestured for us to take seats in front of his desk. "A dilemma is putting it mildly, son. What we have is a crisis, now explain to me how the missing Beta's daughter and future Alpha's mate ended up in my territory without my knowledge?" Gone was the fatherly demeanor he had displayed minutes ago and in its place was an Alpha who was displeased with the danger being posed to his pack.

Phoenix explained the situation to his father and I kept my eyes on his father watching for any facial expressions that would indicate what his thoughts were on the situation. After Phoenix finished, there was a long silence where Henry simply regarded us with blank eyes.

I tried not to fidget under his gaze, but as the silence wore on my anxiety increased. I knew in his mind he was weighing the solutions, considering the outcome with the least amount of bloodshed. Alpha Caine was difficult to deal with on a good day, dealing with him in this situation frightened me to my core because I know what he's capable of.

Phoenix's father leaned back in his seat, head tilting to look at the ceiling. This wasn't looking good, Phoenix squeezed my hand in reassurance. He was just as scared as I am, but he was trying to put on a brave face for me. "I've met Alpha Caine Shadows, talked to him a few times during meetings. He was unfriendly, a solitary man. Hardly spoke to his mate when she came with him, trying to speak to him was like pulling teeth from the man." Henry looked at us, "I was young, was looking to make our pack stronger. I approached Alpha Shadows, asked him if we could be allies." A pause. "He laughed at me and said having my pack as allies would not benefit Shadow Light. We were weak, hardly known according to him. I was mortified that he would be so blunt and rude, my embarrassment turned into anger and I almost declared war against them." He laughed, "But then Alpha Shadows looks me in the eyes and says, 'You have guts to speak to someone like me, I like you. Maybe if you ever need help, give me a call.' After that, it would be a 'hi and bye' sometimes inquires about how my pack is doing and how his pack was doing."

My eyebrows shot up in hearing this news, Alpha Caine being friendly towards another Alpha? I've only ever heard his disdain about other packs, his displeasure at outsiders. Alpha Caine was obsessed with maintaining Shadow Light pure, sure he accepted the mates from other packs and the children of those pairings were treated equally because they maintained Shadow Light blood in them. Other than discovering that the two Alphas were acquainted, I couldn't see a point in the story. Regardless of their history, there was no way that Alpha Caine would let me leave or even accept the union. Then it hit me, "Nathaniel." I breathed out. How could I have been so stupid? With a huge grin, I told the males my idea.