The Harmony of Light and Shadow

I steeled my resolve by the time Phoenix came outside, how long ago did we fight? It felt so long as I was consumed in my thoughts the entire time I was out here. I didn't turn to look at him as he approached me from behind me, the anger had simmered down. We can never understand each other as long as there was this threat hanging over us, knowing this the solution is clear.

"Astrid-" He began.

I cut him off, "I'll be back Phoenix, please forgive me." I dared to glance at him over my shoulder before shifting and taking off. The memory of his voice would forever be burned in the back of my mind, as well as him yelling out my name. If he tried to pursue me or tell his border patrol to stop me, it was too late. My speed was unmatched by any living being, the last vestiges of magic granted to the wolves of light in me allowed me to travel at the speed of light.

My heart started aching as it always did when I left Phoenix, after being so close to him for so long the ache was enough to slow me down. I grunted in annoyance and continued pushing myself, Shadow Light was a considerable distance when running in wolf form. Driving would have been easier if I had the luxury, but this was a stealth mission on both sides. If I didn't have my gift it would probably take me a week to reach there, but with the combination of my speed and determination I could probably reach there by noon tomorrow. My body will pay the price for it, but I learned to break down my mental barrier long ago. There was no such thing as "at my limit".

I pass through territories unseen, like a ghost. A trick of the eye, with my silver fur reflecting light. The scenery blended together, broken only by where highways divided nature. The closer I got to Shadow Light, the more I slowed my pace because making it into the territory at night undetected would be better than risk being sensed in the day. Alpha Caine and I being the only ones able to manipulate the shadows means that no one would hear the whispers or feel my presence cloaked in shadow.

It was noon, the next day that I made it outside Shadow Light territory. I stayed away from the border to keep my scent from blowing into the wolves on patrol, if I was caught there would be no leaving. Skirting away from the border in search of a nearby creek to quench my thirst, my senses were on high alert. My ears were swiveling around, catching every sound within the vicinity. Wary of being found out. My eyes also kept a look out on the shadows that danced on the border, if I got too close and Alpha Caine was home they would alert him right away.

Those shadows were the reason rogues or outsiders hardly ever survived passing through the border, they belonged to the Alpha. Since the beginning those shadows have been connected to the current Alpha, it allowed the Alpha himself to physically manifest himself to where the shadows have been disturbed wherever he is in the territory. Legend says if you feed the shadows your blood, you can return in an instant from wherever you are.

I wasn't sure about the legend, if it's true I have no doubt Alpha Caine would've done it meaning I was in trouble either way. I was gambling a lot on this, hoping my own connection with the shadows would cloak me from him.

The water from the creek was refreshing, exactly what I needed after a long journey. I was hungry but couldn't risk hunting or else the blood would attract someone. Trotting to the area where I could quickest reach Nathaniel's home from the border, I laid in the cover of some bushes using my shadows to shield me from view. The waiting game sucked, and time seemed to move slower, it took every ounce of self-control to not fidget in impatience.

Finally, the sun was setting I could get up from my hiding spot and stretch my body before my mad dash into my pack. Entering in my physical form would get Alpha Caine on me before I fully crossed, I had to go in my shadow form. It was something I didn't like to use, it took a lot out of me and left me feeling weak afterwards. My skin crawled, and my body lost all of its heat. It was advantageous but risky, using the shadows so much led lesser wolves into a descent of madness. If it weren't for me being a light wolf, the ability to use shadows would be easier but it took a blood oath with the shadows to get them to work with me. Every new moon, I had to feed them my blood to keep them happy.