Lawndale

And here I was at 1:30 am, knocking on the back door.

The door was red with asian writing on it. I think about turning away, but then I hear the deadbolt come loose.

The door opens.

She's standing in front of me with her hair up, sports bra on and some sweatpants.

"Calvin Kennedy."

"Arizona Medulo."

"Come in." she opens the door a little wider and let's me in. She closes it and locks it behind me. The windows are open and it smells like paint thinner. She had all types of newspapers sprawled across the floor, she's working on another canvas. I see a painting in the corner.

Liars.

She tells me to take a seat, asks why I'm up so late.

"Restless." I say. "Still can't believe this shit."

"I understand." she goes back to mixing paints. The ocean breeze is blowing through the windows.

"Damn, it's cold."

"Either we keep the windows open and let the paint thinner air out, or we close them and die from turpentine poisoning."

"Got a jacket or something?"

"There's a blanket on my futon over there, have at it."

I decide to just sit back on the pulled out futon. Her blanket had UCLA BREWERS written on it with their mascot at the bottom. Arizona is so into her work I don't want to disturb her, but I do.

"Can I see those messages?" I ask. She looks at me, nods, gets up and picks up a stack of stapled papers, hands them to me.

"Are you sure you want to read them?" she asks.

"Should I not?"

"Up to you."

"Got something to drink?"

"Wine, juice, water, Jose Cuervo."

"Get me some Jose, keep them coming."

She goes dips into her mini fridge and just straight up hands me the bottle, then goes back to her painting.

I start on page one.

_______________________________________________________________________

*5 Months Ago*

Cairo: Do you take Literature 420?

Stacey: No, im sorry. That's an advanced course isn't it?

Cairo: Yeah. My friend told me you were smart as hell, so I was tryna see if you can help me with this Shakespeare shit.

Stacey: Lol, um, I think I can still help you. I love Shakespeare.

Cairo: Me and my niggas are going down to study hall later, can you meet us there?

Stacey: Sure, what time?

Cairo: I will let you know.

Stacey: Okay.

_______________________________________________________________________

Cairo: Thanks for yo help. I made an A

Stacey: That's good to know! Congrats.

Cairo: I owe you one, fr.