The Sorting Ceremony

The train grinded to a squeaky halt as the kids elbowed eachother to get a look from the windows at their new school.

The castle stood tall, as it has for a thousand years prior, and the water around it seemed eerily calm against the soft glow of the magical lights from inside.
Harry and Hermione looked on longer than most kids until Draco took Harry's hand and lead him to the door where his very tall friend, Hagrid, was there to greet him.

"Ello Harry," He whispered with a smile, trying not to draw anymore attention to the young boy than there already was.
Harry smiled back, one of biggest and purest of smiles he has ever showed;  a smile that didn't have to be faked out of fear that if Uncle Vernon was questioned he would beat him.

"First years this way, all first years follow me!  First years over here!"  Yelled Hagrid as he waved the lantern he held in his hand.

The tall and hairy man lead the students to a few canoes where six kids could fit in one, Hagrid took up a one by himself.
Most kids looked out into the water in amazement as the giant squid swam around them; but the four whom we know stayed together trying to hold in as much heat as their small bodies could.

As the castle neared Harry began to stand but was pulled back down to reality by Draco, who was given a soft smile as the brunette took a seat next to his friend again.

The first years entered the lower west floor, outside the Great Hall, where they warmed up and chattered to each other.
"So what house d'ya think you'd be in? I'd be Gryffindor, my whole family are Gryffindors." Asked Ron as he warmed his fingers through the holes in his gloves.

"The Malfoy Name has always been associated with the Slytherin house, if anything else I wouldn't mind being a Ravenclaw." Spoke Draco as he put his arm on Harry's shoulder, who gave a noticeable flinch but tried to smile it off.

"What do you mean by houses?" Asked a confused Harry which caused an eye roll to be sent his way from Hermione,
"Houses are the groups we are sorted into during our years at Hogwarts. They act as our family and will be the ones whom we do everything with like eating, Quidditch games, classes, and breaks." She explained in one breath.

"Oh, okay," Harry looked even more confused than before, "What's Quidditch?"
Ron was about to say something when a woman cleared her throat. Turning their attention to her, they saw a lady who would look like a kind grandmother but as soon as she spoke those assumptions went out the windows.

"Once you enter the Great Hall the sorting ceremony will begin. As you should know there are four houses, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Gryffindor."  She stated while somehow managing to make it seem she was paying attention to only you.
"Your house will be your family during your stay at Hogwarts, so I wish for you to behave when with each other."

The doors then croaked open and the first years walked in unison into the Great Hall.
While most students, including Harry and Draco, were looking up at the ceiling in bewilderment as it sparkled like the night sky Hermione could be heard rambling about the illusionment charm cast to make it seem that way which she learned from reading Hogwarts: A History.

At the end of the Hall was a long table with many of the professors and in front of them on a tiny wooden stool was the sorting hat.

Harry had stifle a chuckle, how could a hat with such a big job look as ragged as that?
At least that's what Harry thought until a seam ripped to reveal it's mouth and began to sing;