8. In The Grass

After comforting Faith, she returned to her usual calming self. She grabbed Marcus' hand again and pulled him through the tall grass, both of them still able to hear the music playing from the radio. Faith smiled as she pressed her body against his, Marcus could look at that smile all day. It was hard for him to understand how quick he had fallen for this woman. They have barely known each other for a month and he already admired her so much and misses her when she has to leave. Faith also found it strange that she had fallen for Marcus so quickly, but she wasn't going to question it because who is she to question what makes her happy? Plus, he was the only one who could actually feel anything for her. He was different, he was special, and she didn't want to let him go.

Marcus wasn't exactly sure how he got there, but he was laying on his back in the short grass beside Faith and looking up into the darkened sky. Faith reached over and intertwined her fingers with his, their folded hands sitting between their bodies. Marcus only just realised that this is the longest time he had actually spent with Faith, she usually had to run back to work after about an hour of them spending time together. She had been here for a few hours, since the middle of the afternoon to the evening and he would consider this the best day he has had in a long time.

"Marcus?" Faith's gentle voice asked. Marcus turned his head to look at her, she had already turned her head to face him. "Would you ever consider coming to church with me, or coming to meet my brothers?" she asked, she wasn't smiling like she usually does, she looked more nervous and unsure than anything.

Marcus' face fell and he stayed silent, his turned his head again so that he was just looking up at the sky. Faith frowned, watching his weigh the pros and cons. "No" he stated simply, knowing that he didn't want to meet her brothers, he didn't want to be anywhere near them.

"Marcus, I don't want you to join us. I respect that you don't believe and that I can't make you, I just want you to accompany me" Faith spoke softly, letting go of his hand and propping her self up on her elbow. He could hear the sadness in her voice and it made his chest tighten, he couldn't look at her.

"I can't Faith. You accept that you can't convert me, they won't accept it" he sighed, still looking up at the sky. Things were going so well, he hoped that this wouldn't ruin anything.

"I won't let them do anything to you, I promise" she promised him, placing her hand on his arm to comfort him.

"Listen...I like you Faith, I really do, but I don't like your brothers and I don't think that I ever can. I can't forgive them for what they have done, at least you are kind and you apologise. You care but..they don't" Marcus confessed, still not looking at her.

"I really like you too" Faith smiled a bit, her cheeks heating up, even though he wasn't looking at her. "They do care, in their own ways. I would like it if you got along with them, I would like it if you all liked each other but I know that it would be asking a lot. I want you to come with me, I just want them to meet you" she sighed, placed her hand on his cheek and turning his head to face her.

"Wait...you just want me to meet your family? You are asking me to meet your family?" he asked with wide eyes, he thought that this was a religious thing but it was like somebody introducing you to their parents.

"Yes. Was I not saying it right?" she giggled, tilting her head at him as she smiled.

"You want to just introduce me to your family?" Marcus asked again, trying to process the information. It was a strangely large step that he never expected to be taking.

"Yes, Marcus. Are you alright with that?" Faith asked, smiling softly when she noticed the lessening resistance in his eyes.

"It's been a while since I've been asked to meet a girl's family" he chuckled to himself. "And your family is...unusual...but if it means so much to you, I will go" Marcus sighed a little, smiling gently at her. Seeing the way that her eyes lit up made the whole thing worth it.

"My brothers won't harm you, I will speak to them. I am sure that Joseph will accept you and defend you" Faith assured the hunter, not wanting him to worry about her brothers. She trusted that they wouldn't harm Marcus in anyway if it upset her.

"I will go with you but I will not join the church and if things get too weird, I am leaving" he stated, making sure to let her know that he won't stick around if they started trying to convert him.

"I will take you home if that happens" Faith smiled, unfazed by his comment because she would understand his discomfort. She smiled wider as she leaned over to him, placing her lips on his and he was quick to kiss her back. Her hand trailed across his cheek and through his hair. Marcus cupped her jaw and tilted his head to deepen the kiss a little, pulling her towards him. She pulled away and kissed his nose quickly, which he thought was adorable.

Faith smiled like she just got the greatest news she has ever received. She shifted closer to Marcus and he wrapped his arm around her, getting them both comfortable. Faith nuzzled into his side, resting her hand on his chest as she hummed to herself. Marcus smiled to himself as he looked up into the night sky, gently moving his hand up and down Faith's side. He found his eyelids getting heavy until he fell asleep in the grass, with Faith curled up beside him.