2. Jack

For mid August it was damn cold. My fingers were starting to get numb as I opened the back of my mother's Range Rover.

"And I want you to make a good name for yourself Carter." She was telling me. The whole entire ride she was nagging me about my future and how I should keep my grades up. I had a 4.0 for christ's sake what more does this woman want? "Carter? Carter Lucas Hayes! Have you been listening to a word I've been saying?" She half yelled.

"What?"

"Focus on school. Not girls, the last thing we need is for you to screw up like you did on Emilee." " I know, that's why I'm here to forget about California, I know mom."

"No, you're here to get a masters degree in literature. Now don't make me regret allowing you to come to Washington." She looked tired. Worry lines were covering her face. I can tell she still didn't trust me on my own from last time. She believes that after another 4 years of hell, I'll mature enough to find someone.

The thing is, I know I'll end up alone I like being alone. Sure girls are fun for a night or two but nothing serious. I can't deal with commitment and I'm okay with that. I don't want love and affection, all I need is a little fun now and then. I don't plan on letting anyone in and tearing down what I've been working all through high school to build.

"Okay," I said cooley.

"Now go to your dorm you have on Monday." She handed me the last of my stuff and gave me a hug, a brief kiss on the cheek.

I hugged her back.

"I love you!" She said behind my back as I was walking towards the housing office.

"You too." I called back.

Damn its cold.

I look up and the clouds are starting to turn grey. Great. August and it looks like it's going to pour. Why did I decide Washington again? Opening the door of the housing office the heat hit me. It has to be at least 80 degrees in here! I take off my jacket and stuff it into my bag. Not only the heat but the whole room smelled like old paper and algae mold. I walked towards the front desk. An elderly woman with square glasses greeted me.

"Welcome to WSU!" She exclaimed a bit too brightly. Her bun was impressive. It sat on the top

of her blond­grey hair. It was so tight her green eyes squint. She wore a long skirt and a mix between a cashmere sweater and a vest the guards at Buckingham would wear. Other than her strange apparel she gave off the warm fuzzy feeling that grans radiate.

"Thanks."

"Would you give me your name?" She said looking up.

"Carter Hayes."

"Hmm.. I just saw your name." Her eyes looking through her computer screen scrolling through the names of students. "Ah! Here you are, you are in Hawkins hall, room 112." She wrote down the name of the hall and number. "Your roommate is Jack Atherton."

"Thanks."

I walked out of the office and into the rain. Hawkins wasn't that far. The campus was nice and modern. Trees and fountains covered the inner courtyards were students would relax and read if it weren't for the rain. I pulled open the double door and walked through the building. The hallway was well lit and I could hear moans coming from the other side of one door.

"Don't swallow each other," I mumbled under my breath.

I heard a lamp fall in the other room and a girl's scream. I continued walking. I finally came across room 112. I fiddled with the key before turning it into the lock. I opened the door with a creak and walked inside. As I walked into the room I tripped over a loose cord and fell.

Nice goes Carter.

"Are you okay?" A girl with long golden hair tucked under a bandana helped me up. She was slim but not bony, and her eyebrow game was strong. She giggled at my actions when I fell in and her green eyes sparkled.

"Urm, yeah. Thanks."

"You must be Carter right?" She asked standing up and handing me my fallen jacket.

"Yeah. You're Jack's girlfriend?" I retrieved it and tucked it into my suitcase.

"Not exactly?" She laughed.

"Friend? Beneficial friend?"

"Oh god no. Well maybe on the weekends." Her laugh was hysterical. Showing off her white teeth. "I'm Jack." The girl finally said.

"You're Jack? Jack Atherton?" I asked.

"The one and only." She spread her arms wide and sighed.

"But, you're a chick?" Back in my boarding school we didn't have girls stay in our dorms let alone live.

"It's co­ed dumbass." She laughed.

The room was filled her laughter and me just awkwardly standing there.

"And plus we won't have a problem." She breathed. "I'm not into guys, so it's all good."

"Okay."

"Well anyway nice to meet you Carter, I'll see you tonight?"

And with that the tall girl walked out of the room and shut the door.

***

I had spent the remainder of my first day here just unpacking. The room was small but

not as small as I thought it would be. There were two twin beds. On either side of the room and floor to ceiling window keeping them apart next to each bed was a nightstand and one desk on the far corner of the room. There were two closets and a small couch and fridge. Despite all the things in the small room it all felt cozy. Jack claimed her bed by putting posters of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones over the headboard. She put a soft dandelion comforter on and some plush transparent tumblr pillows. She also had a big stuffed lion with the name Daniel on the collar. She had also claimed the left closet by already putting her clothes and shoes and plaquing a sign that said I WOKE UP LIKE THIS? After laying all my stuff down and putting it away in my own closet I layed down on my bed and looked at the ceiling. I was starting to fall asleep so I grabbed some headphones and scrolled through my playlist. I finally decided on Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars.

If I lay here,

If I just lay here,

Would you lie with me and, just forget the world?