4. Winter

The sun creeped into the room with the white curtains lightly flowing from the upcoming breeze. Today had a better start than yesterday. I rolled out of bed and grabbed a towel, soap, shampoo and a change clothes along with a toothbrush.

***

After I came back to the washrooms I headed to my dorm.

"Okay so first period I have History of Religion how about you?" I heard Jack ask with a mouth full of toothpaste and brush.

"Environmental Science. Oh hi Carter," Ford waved once she saw me.

"Hey."

"Carter! What do you have first period?" Jack asked.

"I dunno, let me check." I walked towards my bedside table and grabbed the piece of paper.

Jack snatched it.

"History of Religion, cool we can walk there together." She walked out of the room and came back with a freshly clean face.

"Okay, I gotta go to class see you guys for lunch?" Ford asked pulling up her boots.

"Where?" I asked.

"Cindy's Diner right off campus, bring Winter too." Jack replied.

"Kay, Carter you should come!" Ford smiled brightly and kissed Jack on the cheek.

"Love you." Jack said.

"Love you too."

"Alright," Jack said once she was gone. "Wanna go to breakfast across the street? Class starts in 2 hours we've got time."

"Sure"

"Get changed you're still shirtless." She said.

I pulled over a black t­shirt and black skinny jeans with some worn out boots. I combed my fingers through my fingers. Jack wore some high waisted shorts with a Rolling Stones crop top and

braided her hair into a fishtail. Dabbed some makeup and some Doc Martens. She grabbed her messenger bag. Her wrist flashed a small tattoo, in nice font was printed "Skinny Love".

"Ready?" I asked.

"Ready," She answered.

We walked side by side out of the building. She started leading me through about 7 different long hallways, there's no way in hell that I'm going to find my way back without her. We finally came to the front double doors of the head building.

"Why'd you take us around the whole building just to go through a door that's right down the hall from our dorm?" I asked dumbfounded.

"To have an adventure."

Okay then. Next time she asks me questions I'm definitely asking her what the freaking heck she's on.

"So urm, what's up with this Winter chick?" I regretted the words right when they came out.

"She's troubled."

I could tell she didn't want to push on the subject so I stayed quiet. We crossed the street off of campus and came to Cindy's Diner. The hostess took us to a booth with a stainless steel counter and stainless steel everything. It was like a portal to the 50's. Red leather seats and stools with Elvis softly playing.

"Hello Patricia," Jack grinned.

"Jack," She held a warm smile and slight southern accent. "I'll be right back to get your orders in a few minutes."

"Okay, sounds great." Jack replied.

Patricia handed us breakfast menus and glasses of ice water and went to the doors to greet other guests.