Symbolic...almost...

“Are we all ready to go?” Scott asked, changing the subject.

“Yeah,” Kirstie replied.  “It’s almost 6:00 and Esther is going to be looking for us really soon unless we get going.”

“We’ll go get Mitch,” Scott said for the both of us.  We walked to the back in a semi-awkward silence to get Mitch.  “Mitch, it’s time to go.” Scott said.

“But I’m not done packing,” Mitch replied in a panicked voice.

“Oh my gosh, Mitch,” Scott said, quite sassily.  “Just put your shit in two bags and let’s go.  Esther will be looking for us soon, so we HAVE to get going.”

“Fine,” Mitch said, zipping his suitcase with anger and annoyance.

The three of us walked into the front of the music store to get the others and the six of us walked out together.  We started throwing suitcases and bags into the back of the truck.  Avi’s phone started ringing and he answered it.

“Hello?” he said into the phone.  He covered the microphone on the phone and his eyes widened.  “It’s Esther and she’s almost here with the bus and the rest of the crew.”

Kirstie, Mitch, Scott, Kevin, and I started piling into the car as Avi continued talking and trying to sound as calm as possible.

“Yeah, I’m leaving my house now to head to Charlie’s.”  Pause.  “I know.  I woke up late.  Sorry.”  Pause.  “Ok, I’ll see you when we get there.”  Pause.  “Love you, too.”  Pause.  “Bye.”  Avi finally hung up the phone and loaded into the car.

“Everyone good?” Kevin asked, looking around at all of us.  We responded with different variations of the word ‘yes’ and we began to pull out of the parking lot.

“Shit, Kevin, I can see Esther’s car,” Kirstie said.  “Drive, NOW,” she all but yelled.

Kevin ran over the curb of the parking lot and drove as fast as cars would allow out onto the highway.  Avi’s phone started ringing again.

“Should I answer it?” Avi asked, starring at his phone.

“No,” Scott said.  “Just turn it off.  Everyone should turn off their phones.”  Everyone began turning off their phones.  I took mine in my hand and looked at it for a minute.  This was my only form of contact I had.  Even though the number wasn’t the same, I was still on my mom’s plan, so she could still call me.

“You don’t have to turn yours off if you don’t want to,” Scott said.

“This is really the only thing I have left,” I said, not taking my eyes off it.  I rolled down the window I was next to.  I looked at my phone and then the open window and the back at my phone.  In one swift motion, I threw my phone out of the window and watched it shatter as it hit the ground on the highway.  It was symbolic almost.  I rolled the window back up and looked at Scott.  He just smiled at me.  It was almost 7:00 A.M. and Kirstie and Mitch were starting to fall asleep.  Avi stayed awake to keep Kevin company as he drove.  Scott put his arm around me.  I nestled myself into his chest and quickly fell into a peaceful sleep.