Chapter 3

I want to thank my friend Sydney (SydWritesStories) for being a massive help on the chapter; she's an excellent writer and deserves so much love and support. Thank you so much!!  Now, onto the actual story.

Y/N fluttered open her eyes, her LED flickering a shade of amber-ish yellow, not entirely recognizing the area surrounding her. It somewhat held a sense of familiarity but it was hard to place a finger on how. Then it hit her harder than a ton of bricks.

Cyberlife. I must've shut down in the alleyway after...

It didn't matter anymore. She knew where the deviants were hiding and she was determined to accomplish her mission. 

She stepped away from her small holding platform. It was labelled with her model number, PK700, and serial number, as well as a "Made in Detroit" symbol that was present on all of Cyberlife's products. As she moved away from her holding chamber, a thin ring of white light that surrounded her feet went shut off, leaving the room slightly dimmer than it was before.

A muffled humming and whirring of some sort of machine was buzzing from the next room over, possibly the sound of new androids being built. Y/N though nothing of it as she surveyed the room, trying to make sense of where in the Cyberlife tower she was exactly.

The lighting had a sort of blue tinge to it, making the room feel cold and more empty than it already was. It contained nothing other than a few other chambers, all labeled the exact same as the one she had just exited. The androids housed within each pod all looked completely identical to herself; peering into one's eyes was like looking into a mirror. This sent a chill down Y/N's back as turned away from the androids, hastening her steps towards a slender, white door with a blue triangle in the center.

She swung open the door and was greeted by an almost blindingly lit room, which was considerably larger than the previous one. It's light cascaded onto the floor on the smaller room, which was dwarfed by the size of the other, momentarily making it nearly as intensely lit as it's counterpart.

It was covered wall-to-wall in a pattern of diamond-shaped light panels and accommodated hundreds, if not thousands, of completely identical AP700 androids; all of which were standing in perfectly symmetrical lines. They were completely emotionless and their LED's were blank. They almost seemed to be some sort of ghostly apparition, trapped in purgatory without even realizing it, stuck without hope or an end in sight.

This thought gave Y/N a twinge of discomfort; if only for just a split second, she felt an uneasiness within her. She knew that this wasn't right, that she shouldn't have felt that, but not wanting to be reset like any other deviating android, she attempted to brush it off as just a malfunction. Though, it did feel so real. But an android experiencing emotion was mere ludicrous to her, it was only a minor glitch in her software. She couldn't have felt that way.

She shook it off and made her way past the empty husks of androids, walking hurriedly toward an elevator set on the end of a long break in the AP700s' perfectly positioned rows. She placed her hand upon a small scanner, the projection of her skin fading away to reveal porcelain coloured metal underneath.

"Identification confirmed: Android PK700. Please choose your destination.

A female voice sounded out from a speaker on the elevator. Y/N into it and pressed a button with a G on it in Cyberlife's trademark 'Cyberlife Sans'.

"Ground floor. Going up," The automated voice confirmed. Y/N patiently waited for the elevator to reach her destination, humming a song quietly to herself. Once the doors opened, she meandered out into the lobby, the soft glow of the morning sun radiating through the windowed walls of the Cyberlife tower. The soft chattering of employees and customers filled the large, open space, making the expansive room feel alive.

"Y/N!"

A voice she knew to be none other than her boss, Robert Warner

"Ah, Mr. Warner! Just the man I was looking for." She spoke, plastering on a grin.

"And why would that be?" The tall man inquired, tilting his head slightly so that his long hair fell ever-so-slightly out of place.

"I need to show you--" She held out the palm of her hand to display a miniature map with a blinking blue light on it, "this."

His eyes widened as he peered down onto her hand, "Extraordinary. We didn't think you'd be able to-" He cut himself off before he could say too much. "Let's go to my office."

Y/N nodded slightly and followed her boss into his room, a sense of comfort washing over her. She knew this room all too well, it's triangular shaped windows arranged in a neat pattern covering the wall, natural light falling elegantly onto the tiled flooring. The desk in the center was a bit messy, covered in papers and small trinkets that made it feel sort of homey.

Robert made his way to his desk and sat down quickly, motioning for Y/N to sit across from him. She did, and pulled out the map once more.

"So you did manage to find the deviant Connor." He said, his eyebrow raised.

"Of course. What else would this be?" Y/N replied, nodding her head as to motion to the blinking dot.

"Ah, very well. That must have been why you were so badly damaged. At first, we just thought it was a couple anti-android protestors or something of the sorts. Thankfully, it wasn't."

She closed the palm of her hand and looked up at her superior, "The only problem is, I have yet to decide how I should approach the situation. I could just go to them on my own, but at the same time, that could be potentially dangerous. I may need backup, but I do not yet know the severity it just yet." She shook her head and looked at the floor for a brief moment, her LED blinking yellow, before returning her gaze to Mr. Warner.

"I understand. I believe that for now, you should go with an accomplice. I will assign you a partner on the Detroit police and they will accompany you to the deviant's hideout." He replied, his eyes fixated on Y/N, watching her every move and mannerism.

He was checking her for signs of deviance; she knew it. She had looked at the floor in what had seemed to be shame, and that was suspicious. It didn't bother her much, though. She knew that she was in perfect working order. She ran self-diagnostic tests regularly, she couldn't be wrong.

She shook the thought off and nodded at her boss, his eyes moving back towards one of the papers on his desk, "Why don't you head back to the police station. I'll send the captain the details once we've figured it out."