- Chapter 20 -

The next few days were everything that I've ever dreamed of. I hung out with Jaxon and his pack, staying at the pack house instead of returning home. Kasey took me out shopping for new clothes, reprimanding me for choosing mostly black.

"But there's so many colours! Why choose black when you can have..." she paused to check the colour listed on the frill filled shirt she was holding up. "... citrus flash?"

Despite protests from her, I still chose mostly black and dark colours. Not only were they more practical, being less easy to get dirty, less easy to spot and less noticeable, but they also didn't make my eyes ache.

I also didn't have the dream of looking like a walking crayon. Citrus flash... seriously.

School became ten times better as well. English class with Mr. Pather became teasing sessions between Jaxon and I, and we were almost sent to the office a few times for disrupting class. Luckily, Jaxon and I have pretty intimidating glares.

Jaxon skipping the last few minutes of his class just so that he could steal a kiss with me between block switches also became a regular occurrence. The teachers never seemed to care since Jaxon showing up to class at all was a novelty in itself.

We were lying on the roof one lunch when I finally decided to make the jump.

"Jax?"

He rolled onto his side to face me, a small smile on his face.

"Yeah?"

"I want to go visit my old... home. I want to clear out and officially move into the pack house."

Jaxon's smile widened. "Do you want to go after school?"

I nodded slowly, causing him to lean in and give me a slow kiss. When he pulled away, his eyes were bright, the sun making them gleam like amber.

"Do you... want me to come with you?"

"Yeah. Just... be sure to prepare yourself."

His eyes darkened immediately and I quickly rephrased my thought. "Before you say anything, it's nothing like that; I just know how protective you get."

His voice was a low growl. "What exactly would there be to get protective about?"

I gave him a reassuring smile that didn't quite reach my eyes. "Nothing much. I just... life was tough. Living conditions weren't exactly great, but I was safe."

He pressed his lips together, but gave my hand a comforting squeeze.

"Okay. I'll try to restrain myself. But we all know how my wolf gets..."

I laughed, trying to lighten the mood again. "You can't blame everything on your wolf, protective asshole."

"I'm a werewolf, Lyss. It's kinda in my nature."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, wolfboy."

His smile returned, and he gave me another soft kiss.

"Mine."

I smiled, kissing him again.