- Chapter 44 -

If the vampires' plan was to reduce morale before the attack, they succeeded.

The mood was somber and tense once we informed the pack of the information. We had begun barricading the buildings, making safe zones for members of the pack that couldn't fight. We couldn't allow the vampires to know that we had learned of their plans, so we couldn't evacuate those members; all we could do at this point was bunker down and hope for the best.

We had to make an urgent call with Alpha Ernwood to get any form of defence against the expected weapon to our pack as quickly as possible. Luckily, he was able to pull through and produce a large amount of armor that, although not able to defend the warriors wearing it completely from the effects of the weapon, would help significantly on the battlefield. He also had a small bomb delivered. When it arrived, Jaxon nodded, tossing it to me.

"Alpha Ernwood said that it was all he was able to make with the time constraints, and has to be placed directly on the weapon to destroy it." He pressed his lips together, rubbing his temples.

"I can do it. Don't worry."

"You know I don't want you to. It's too dangerous."

"But we both know I'm the only one able to get close enough to the weapon without being affected by it, especially since there's no vampires from the rebellion here to help out."

"Fuck, I hate this."

I took a few deep breaths, allowing my resolve to harden again. Although I was still pretty distraught, I had to stay together; if I didn't they won.

"We can't lose. You know what happens if we do."

Jaxon nodded in agreement. His eyes glazed over as he connected with the mind link, most likely speaking with Alex.

His eyes hardened again, and he ran a hand through his hair as he collected his thoughts. "Okay. So here's the plan. We don't know where they will want to set up the weapon, but they'll most likely want to get as close as possible since, if the blueprints are correct, the weapon should include shells with silver dust in it, which will become airborne once the shell explodes. It won't be as effective in the forest, so they'll probably want to get to a clearing to use the weapon, and fire it from one of the hills.

Alex will be in charge of the patrols as always, but the vampires will definitely have the weapons to shut down mind link for us temporarily. This means that the only notice we'll have of the attack will be the classic way; by foot, from a runner of a patrol team. Landon's team, with Liam and Barry, will be our best bet, even without Mateo, since Liam and Barry are the fastest wolves in the pack.

They're definitely going to strike at night, but we don't know at what time, so until then, it'll be a waiting game. I'll be leading the main forces on the ground defending from the attack head on, since they'll definitely have hordes of vampires coming in to assault. Luckily, most of the reinforcements from the other packs have been able to arrive, so if we're able to shut down that weapon, we should be able to at least defend from the attack.

That leads to you. You'll have to locate the weapon and sneak by the crowds as quickly as possible to get there. They'll probably have somebody defending it, so you're going to have to take them out somehow, or at least distract them for long enough to get the bomb planted and escape. We cleaned your suit from the last heist, so you can probably use that, if that's alright."

I nodded in approval. "What about the members of the pack that can't fight?"

"Kasey will be leading the defence team for the members that will be barricaded in the pack house. We're expecting a flank attack like they did last time, so we have forces stationed all around the house."