Chapter 2: High and Low

The following day, Kassidy went to work with a bandage on her hand. Making it hard for her to type faster than she usually does. As a data analyst, this was a bit hard for her. She wasn't even thinking about last night. She was just too focused on the screen in front of her, and the papers by her side.

At the other side, some co-workers were whispering about what happened to her hand. It wasn't really whispering when she could hear them. "Wonder what happened to her hand?" A blonde, and blue eyed woman asks, her voice full of curiousness. It was Diane. "God knows what happened. We barely even know three things from her." Reynold whispers back.

"Aside from her name is Kassidy Warren and she's a data analyst." Reynold says. "Should we go ask if she's all right?" Peyton, the smaller blonde asks. But before anyone could answer, their boss goes out of his office and orders them to head back to work.

He sauntered over to Kassidy, "Miss Warren," He made his presence announced as Kassidy looked up. "Oh! Mister Hemmings. I just finished the report you asked for yestetday." Kassidy says, as she pulls up a black binder and hands it to her boss, "Here you go."

"Thank you, Miss Warren. If it's not too much to ask, what happened to your hand?" He asks. Kassidy was a bit taken a back at his question. Not one of her coworkers even ask if she has plans, a good day or even a life. She certainly didn't expect her boss to.

Greg Hemmings was one of the successful CEOs in New York. At age 24, he already had a skyscraper of a building in New York. Where his company specializes in developing the society and economy. Although, no one really knows much about him.

"I, uh, accidentally broke a glass last night in my apartment." Kassidy replies. But then again, maybe her boss was worried that it might've happened in the office. "Are you sure you don't need to rest that? It looks painful." He asks again.

"I'm fine." Kassidy shrugs. "I insist. The report you're typing, I don't need that for a month. You are ahead of your tasks. Please, rest." He speaks calmly.

"I'm fine, Mister Hemmings. But maybe I'll take that vacation day some other time." Kassidy reassures her boss. "If you're sure." He says as he heads back into his office.

The day dragged on quickly. Kassidy didn't have that much attention ever since her sixteenth birthday party. People kept asking and wishing her well. Every time they ask, she wonders if they were asking about hand or herself. Every time they wish her well, she wonders if they meant well for her hand, or for her sanity.

With another day passed of making no progress of happiness in her life, she heads back to her apartment. She enters the elevator, and remembers her run in with the girl next door. She remembered about her offer about a dinner.

She wanted to. But what would she talk about? Where she came from? Her parents? Friends? Her non-existent love life? She sucked at small talk, much more at a real talk.

The elevator opens with a ding as she walks over to her room. "Hey!" Erina greets her, who has just on her way out. "Hi." Kassidy waves, setting down her bag. "Are you still up for dinner? I was just heading to the store for-"

"Oh my God, what happened to your hand?" Erina asks, nearing her and holding Kassidy's hand. "Just broke glass in my apartment last night." Kassidy shrugs. "Have you got it checked?" Erina asks, curiously. "There's no need for that." Kassidy retracts her hand away.

"I think you should. If it makes you feel any better, I'm a nurse. I could check it out for you?" Erina says. "No, no. It's fine." Kassidy says, opening her door. "It's okay, Kassidy. I'm not gonna give you a shot, well not that kind of shot anyway. Just let me-"