Chapter 3: This Is What Happy Looks Like

It had been a two days ever since Kassidy had a bandage around her hand, since she scared the girl next door and since she met Luke. Things took a turn for her ever since she met him. She had to walk a solid fifteen minutes back to her apartment building that night. But because of that night, she woke up with a new sense of living. Maybe because of the cold brisk air hitting her again and again.

She stands in front of Erina's door, a gift basket in her hand. She realized that she never really did properly welcome her. She welcomed her with negativity and all Erina did to her was offer help and tried to be friends.

She takes a deep breath as she lands two knocks on Erina's door. The door opens, revealing Erina in her pyjamas. "What?" She says, harshly.

She hates me, great, Kassidy thought. She swallowed her pride and spoke up, "I wanted to say sorry about the other day. I didn't mean to snap at you. I know you were just concerned about me. I'm sorry." Kassidy says, handing out a gift basket at her.

Erina glares at her and the basket, her expression softens, "It's alright. And thanks, for uh, this. Would you like to come in?"

"Sure." Kassidy replies as she steps inside a now furnished apartment. "Sorry for the mess, I've been trying to sort all of this out on my own." Erina says, gesturing to the whole place as she sets the basket down on a kitchen counter.

"It's fine. Mine's probably even more messier." Kassidy says as she sits on one of the kitchen stools. "Would you like anything to drink? I have pineapple juice, water, coconut water, and wine." Erina asks her.

"Water's fine." Kassidy says. Erina raises an eyebrow at her. "Okay, fine. I'll have the wine." Kassidy says as Erina smirks at her, "I knew you were a wine kinda girl. This is the best wine you'll ever taste." Erina says as she pours her a glass.

Kassidy accepts the glass and downs it all down. "Wow. That kind of week, huh?" Erina jokes, as she pours her another and pours herself as well. "You have no idea." Kassidy shakes her head.

"What happened to your hand the other night? Because it doesn't look like you cut it on glass." Erina says, glancing at Kassidy's hands, who were fiddling. "I literally cut it on glass." Kassidy lies.

Erina hummed. "I know you're lying. I'm a nurse. I know what a cut from glass looks like. Your bandage is wrapped around your knuckles."

Kassidy fell silent. What was she supposed to do? Scare this girl away again by telling her that she smashed a mirror with her bare hands? "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry." Erina apologizes. Kassidy looks up at her and grins, "It's fine."

"So, since we're next door neighbors or front door neighbors, why don't you tell me something about yourself?" Erina asks, taking a seat in fron of her. "There's nothing really much to know, my name's Kassidy Warren, I was born in a small town in Maine, who went to the big city, trying to make it out in this world. I'm a data analyst at Hemmings Cor-"

"Wait, you work there? Yet you don't have a mansion? Damn." Erina sips her wine. "I can't even get my life together, much more a mansion." Kassidy remarks. Erina glares at her. "Sorry, that took a dark turn." Kassidy says.

"I guess I should tell something about myself, too." Erina sets down her glass. "My name is Erina Valeriova, my dad and mom are both from Bulgaria but moved to Nevada. I have four other siblings, who still live there. And as I've mentioned before, I am a nurse."

"So, that's why you don't have a mansion." Kassidy comments. "I guess so. I'm the oldest, so I got to work hard, since my little brother is going to college next year. My parents' salary is just enough for their house, food and clothing." Erina says. "Wow, this wine is strong." She comments.