ONCE

as the girls were gossiping, the lights started to flicker while the helicopter sounded like it was right above them.

"okay, so you've been smashual with this dude since summer, and now you want to go legit?" olivia said, "go legit. what's the worst that can happen?"

"you guys could stop talking to me, and the whole dynamic of the group would change. we've been tight for as long as i can remember," esperanza replied, still messing with her hands.

"you're telling me none of them have ever had a girlfriend? or boyfriend in monse's case," olivia asked, making both monse and espy shake their heads, "cesar's never had a girlfriend?"

"i think in sixth grade, pero no sé. he doesn't talk to us about that stuff," esperanza replied, motioning to her and monse.

"what about ruby? what if ruby got a girlfriend?" olivia continued.

"yes! god, yes. he'd probably unclench a little," monse added, causing olivia to snicker a bit.

"maybe that's what they say about both of you," olivia suggest, making espy roll her eyes and monse to ask, "you implying i'm uptight?"

"she's saying you overthink, mons," espy defended olivia.

"cause i don't have many people to talk to about this guys stuff," monse said before looking at espy, "no offense, esperanza," the small latina shrugged her shoulders, understanding monse's claim, "most of our friends are dudes,"

"and it's just you and your dad, right?" olivia asked.

"yeah,"monse replied, looking away from olivia and at esperanza, who had given her a reassuring smile with a nod.

"where is your mom?" olivia asked, after a moment.

"don't know," monse replied, "she left when i was little. this is now becoming a sad-fest, so –"

"i'm sorry," olivia shook her head.

"no. no, i'm sorry. it's just kind of complicated right now in the mom front, which probably explains why i haven't ever rolled easy with the girls," monse said, her now fidgeting with her hands.

"what are you talking about? you're totally a girl's girl," olivia said, shaking her head.

"monse means having lots of girlfriends," espy spoke, "we've never truly had another real girlfriend before,"

"until now," olivia said, making the two girls crack a smile.

"so, as your guys' real girlfriend, i think you need to stop worrying about what the guys will say or won't say," olivia said, looking at monse before moving her gaze to espy, "and don't be afraid to bring this mystery dude around and introduce him to the crew. or do they already know him?"

"no! no, they don't," esperanza said, shaking her head vigorously, "even if they did, do you guys think they might care that i didn't tell them sooner about him?"

"so, we do know him?" monse asked, questioning espy.

"no! that's not what i was saying," espy replied.