Ajax

Who could that be?

Rising from his comfortable bed, Ajax strolled across his dimly lit room, to his door, where a barrage of knocks had ceased to commence. Pulling it open, Indi stood before him.

'Indi? What's wrong?', Ajax trembled from nerves.

'May I come in?'

Stepping aside, Ajax gestured her in, with a swaying arm, as if laying down a red carpet. Walking into the room, Indi observed Ajax's quarters, as he closed the door.

'Nice room', she joked. 'Doesn't look like mine at all!'

Still awkward, from the way he had treated her earlier, Ajax simply smiled, sitting on the bed. Accompanying him, Indi sat, legs touching, looking at Ajax's frosty blue eyes.

'Can we talk?', she sighed.

'Of course, silly', he teased.

'I'm sorry about before'.

'So am I, Indi. I'm sorry for being the way I am', Ajax trailed off, embarrassed.

Placing her hand atop of his, Indi smiled, squeezing it tight.

'Don't be, silly. I am the one who's sorry', she pleaded.

Swiftly getting to his feet, Ajax walked over to his dresser, leaving a puzzled Indi stationed on the bed.

'What's wrong?', she queried.

'You know what's sad?', Ajax asked, his back still facing Indi. 'We didn't talk for years, before the mothership, but yet it feels like we haven't stopped talking at all'.

Lifting herself off the bed, Indi paced over to Ajax, placing her hand on his back. 'Why does that make you sad?'

'Because that was the reason you fell into Aaron's arms', Ajax tormented himself. 'If I had just talked to you, maybe you wouldn't have', he stated coldly, hatred burning inside his mind.

'So confident aren't we', Indi softly spoke, rubbing his back. 'So that's why I fell into his arms? Because you didn't make a move?', Indi teased, relaxing the tension, building within her friend.

'Ajax', she demanded his attention, twirling him around. Gazing into her beautiful eyes, Ajax couldn't help but feel regret for his mistakes.

'The past is the past, we can not change it. All we can do is work towards bettering our future. You wouldn't be the man you are today, had you not made the mistakes you have', she comforted.

Knowing she was right, Ajax frowned, trying to portray a brave face. 'So, stop beating yourself up, and start working towards your future. And maybe I'll be in it ...' Indi whispered, leaning closer to Ajax, her lips pursed, looking up at him. Frozen by fear, Ajax mimicked rigor mortis, as his kryptonite pressed her chest against his, causing sweat to bead down his forehead.

'Relax', she whispered.

Oh my god, it's happening.

Watching Indi, close her eyes, Ajax followed suit. He could feel her warm breath, blowing against his skin, her sweet aroma, filling his nostrils. Inches from locking lips, a loud screech, punctured the air like nails scratching a chalkboard.

'Will all members of the Guard, please report to the barracks immediately for your ceremonies', the stern voice of Major Sunn, howled over the intercom.

For fuck sake!

Stepping down off her tiptoes, Indi laughed, punching Ajax's chest. 'Saved by the bell, silly', she teased, a mischievous wink flashing across her eyes. Hanging his head, Ajax hated being apart of the guard at this point in time. His head was raised back up, by Indi's hand, rubbing his chin, she comforted him with her words once again, 'I'll be here when you get back, ok?'