A New Lead

Piper's POV:

We'd been searching for two days, and had found nothing.

No monster dust, no dagger, not so much as a footprint of Lacy's. Worse, we were exhausted and disheartened at the lack of clues. I made feeble attempts to charmspeak Percy and Annabeth into continuing on, but they never worked for long.

"I'm sorry, Piper, but as a daughter of Athena I need to work smart. And it just isn't smart to keep on going! We haven't found a trace of evidence as to where Lacy might be. For all we know she's..." Annabeth's voice dribbled down to nothing.

"She is not dead!" I insisted, stopping in my tracks at a street corner. "Nico and Hazel would've felt it!" My breath was ragged and tears were pooling in my eyes. I wanted to hate Annabeth for even suggesting that Lacy might be dead, but deep in my heart I knew that it was a possibility. No, it was a probable explanation.

In exasperation I sat down on the steps to a library. I held my head in my hands and let a tear slip down my cheek.

Percy sat down next to me. "Hey, I know it seems... bad. But as an experienced demigod I've learned that no matter how bad it seems, there's always another way. Another explanation, or another thing you don't know. When my mom was taken to the Underworld, it seemed impossible to get her back. But it worked out! You can't give up, Piper."

I took a deep breath to steady myself, and nodded. "Yeah... you're right. Thanks, Percy."

"No problem."

Suddenly, three people approached the library- a girl with bushy brown hair in the front, and two boys trailing behind her. One had messy brown hair and glasses, the other had hair as bright a red as Rachel's. They were about seventeen, like Percy and Annabeth. The girl seemed to be in a rush, her hair streaming behind her as the boys struggled to keep up with her fast pace.

"Hermione, wait up!" said the redheaded boy. He had a prominent British accent and a throaty voice.

"I will not 'wait up,' Ron, seeing as I'm investigating what could've been a murder!" That caught my attention. As she got closer, I saw that in her hands she clutched an ancient-looking book and... was that a Celestial Bronze dagger?

Annabeth must've noticed the dagger as well. She stormed over to the trio and demanded, "Who are you and where did you get that dagger?"

Sorry this chapter is so short, but I needed a dramatic ending! The next one will be longer, and it will be very interesting...