More Bad News... What a Surprise

Annabeth's POV:

I had known so many demigods who didn't make it. Luke, Ethan Nakamura, Silena, Beckendorf, Bianca di Angelo, Castor, Lee Fletcher, Thalia, and all the others. A.N. I know Thalia came back to life but this is just talking about how Annabeth felt when she thought Thalia was gone :)

But Jason... his death was like getting hit in the stomach with a baseball. Unexpected, fast, and knocked the wind out of me.

Could this all be part of the prophecy? To storm or fire the world must fall. Jason was the storm. Was the prophecy not complete? Since Leo had cheated death, had Jason's death been fate?

Now becoming more prominent was my anger. Whoever had done this, I was going to hunt them down and rip them apart limb by limb, until they'd paid for what they'd done. I knew Jason would never want that, but peace was never my forte.

"We've got to find out who did this," I growled. "We need to find out what that fissure is, and find them, and kill them. I'm going over there."

"No!" Hermione shouted, lunging out and grabbing my wrist. "You can't, you'll most definitely die. It's the Killing Curse!"

Percy seemed about ready to push Hermione out of the way. "Look, I don't know what you're talking about, but whatever killed Jason, I want to find it. So let us go." His eyes flashed with that dangerous glint, but Hermione held her ground.

"No."

"Move!" As I made to shove past Hermione, she whipped out her wand and pointed it at me.

"Levicorpus!" She cried, and I was jerked by the ankle into the air, dangling there. From my limited line of vision, I could barely make out Percy meeting the same fate.

Percy was undoubtedly crossing his arms as he whined, "No fair!"

"You idiot!" Ron rolled his eyes. "You were about to go get yourself killed. So we're not the ones being unfair."

"Well, how are we supposed to figure out anything about this... thing, until we can go there for ourselves and investigate?" said Piper, a hint of charmspeak glazing her voice like honey. Whether or not she was doing it on purpose, I couldn't tell.

The situation quickly escalated into a shouting match, but I quickly pulled out of it, becoming lightheaded from all the blood rushing to my brain.

Chiron, still in full centaur form, charged in between where Harry, Ron, and Hermione were standing, and where Piper, Percy, and I were. Or, more like, where Piper was standing and Percy and I were hanging.

"Silence!" I felt like this was directed more at us demigods than the wizards. Stupid hospitality and common courtesy. "First of all, who are you?" Now this was directed at the opposite party.

"We're wizards. I'm Hermione Granger, sir, and these are my friends, Harry and Ron," Hermione responded. "Well, more accurately, Harry is my friend. Ron is my..." She let the sentence fall, a blush spreading across her cheeks.

"A-alright..." replied Chiron. "Now, demigods, let's let the wizards talk." As if he were my father. Well, he basically was, but that's beside the point. I was seventeen, for the gods' sake!

"Fine," muttered Piper. Hermione grudgingly pointed her wand at Percy and I, speaking some sort of counter-charm, and the two of us simultaneously tumbled out of where we'd been hanging onto the hard floor.

"That fissure was what we, in the Wizarding World, call the Killing Curse," she said with a tone of decisiveness.

Ron seemed to notice that we needed it elaborated a bit more, and added helpfully, "It kills you instantly."

"Wow, that wasn't obvious at all," snapped Hermione.

Ron crossed his arms. "Well, at least they don't think I'm an annoying know-it-all, like you!"

"That argument might be a little more convincing if I didn't save your sorry butt every two-"

"Will you two shut up!" Harry cut in. I'd been tempted to say the same thing, and I certainly would have if I'd known the two "lovebirds" better. Turning to us, Harry said, "It's the curse that Voldemort used to kill almost everyone he did kill personally. It's one of the Unforgivable Curses, which are strictly forbidden by the Ministry of Magic, and if you use it, it gets you a life sentence in Azkaban, the wizard prison. It gives off a flash of green light-"

"The same green light that's shining from inside that fissure," I finished in horror.

"Exactly."

"But, even if this is what's going on, what could've possibly happened to invoke it?" Asked Piper.

"My best guess?" Percy grimaced. "Another deity trying to ruin our lives."

Sorry that was just kind of a filler chapter. I promise I'll update with a more interesting chapter soon!