father and child

i finished my part of setting up the dining room and took my position standing at the end of the table. when heine walked in, he seemed completely shocked. "welcome to weissburg palace!" we said in sync. "my brothers made the food!" adele announced. "some of the dishes may not be visible to the eye, but they should be pleasing to the tongue." bruno said. "how do you like that? and you said we couldn't surprise you. serves you right!" "we didn't have a welcome party yet... so we decided to today..." licht ran forward and grabbed heine. "c'mon, don't stand around. eat!" licht said sitting him down. "we think it turned out well." bruno said. "for your first time cooking." i mumbled. heine took a bite of the food. "how is it, professor?" "it tastes delightful. prince kai. princess aline. prince bruno. prince leonhard. prince licht. i'm honored that you would welcome me." bruno held up a book. "A small gift from us." "the book that you bought? thank you." leo came over and handed him a doll. "this is from me. you said it was cute, didn't you?" licht handed him an outfit. "i'd love to see you in this outfit." i pulled out a wooden box. it had one carefully engraved side that slid open. i handed it to him. he opened it to find a jewel to put around his neck, over the knot of his tie. he blinked. "from me." kai held a bird in front of heine. it stood up and flew away. "thank you, everyone."

the king has returned. THE KING HAS RETURNED. everyone except kai was glum about it. i was tense for a different reason. we went in, to see our father. as expected, when we greeted him he got emotional. soon enough we were down to business. he was going to go over our tests. "according to the royal tutor's report, bruno, kai and aline did well on the competency test. bruno, your studies are perfect, but you will need more flexibility if you are to become a leader." "y-yes, sir." "kai, i have no complaints about your ability, but you should work on your communication skills and learn how to convey your emotions." kai nodded. "Aline, your abilities are great, but i think you know what you should work on. actually, we need to talk privately later." i tensed up. "yes sir."  "licht. you scored 60 because you thought it a chore and got sloppy, no? you will have to break that habit of yours." "fine." he earned a hard glare from father. "yes, sir." "but leonhard is the most problematic. i was so shocked that i doubted my own eyes." "huh? did i do something?" one point. "ah." "i was also surprised by the grading method. one point for his name, when he answered every single point incorrectly? you must have done so out of your kindness. thank you." "not at all." fathers stern glare returned. "however, either way, if this continues you will never be ready for the throne. three days from now, you will retake this test. unless you match licht's score of 60... leonhard, i will strip you of your right to the throne. i asked heine to give each of you equal treatment, but i will allow an exception for these three days. can i count on you to give leonhard extra evening lessons, heine?" "yes, majesty" "that is all i have to say. i need to have a private talk with aline now." i swallowed and watched the princes leave. i felt a bit in the bottom of my stomach. "so, aline. what did you do on the night the royal tutor came to the palace?" "w-what do you mean?" i cursed myself for stuttering. "you don't know? i don't want to make you feel untrusted, my daughter, but you did join the yakuza behind my back. then at third chairman, sera's funeral, there was an uninvited guest who fought their way out of the building after being found. do you have anything to do with that?" "maybe..." father sighed. he stood up and hugged me. "i know you think i don't trust you, and that, after the incident, i will never love you as much as i love your brothers... i just don't want you to get hurt. please, just be careful." i nodded. he released me and smiled. "i have to go attend to my duties, but if you need, we can talk about this more." "yes... father..." i walked out of the room and let out a sigh. "i'm sorry i can't take your advice yet. my life isn't the only one in danger." i whispered. 

i showed up at serena and saw haruka sleeping soundly. "she must be tired..." i shook my head. "i have no leads, so i should hit the streets to get some info. i went back outside, to be greeted by a man from purgatory. "hello, i'm from purgatory. my name is mogusa. i've been working for the florist. ma'ma could you come see the boss, if you don't mind? i guess there's some trouble involving his family, and it's put him in a real foul mood. not that he tells us anything." "the florist has a family?" "one that left him a long time ago. the boss's son is just another one of this towns hooligans. tough to be fair, he's never even seen father's face... our boss is fond of you, aline. i think it'd lift his spirits if you went to go see him. the boss has holed himself up in purgatory's monitor room. can you help him?" i nodded. i found something to do today.